Softening a sport

sco

A2OC Donor
Sorry - yet more questions in the search for an A2. Was discounting Sport models because have been told the ride is awful - how much of this is just the low pro tyres - if I fit taller profile tyres does it largely become the same as an SE or is there more to it?

Cheers,

Simon.

Sorry - yet more questions in the search for an A2. Was discounting Sport models because have been told the ride is awful - how much of this is just the low pro tyres - if I fit taller profile tyres does it largely become the same as an SE or is there more to it?

Cheers,

Simon.

A favourite subject of mine!!!

I run 18" ultra low profile tyres on mine and I like the firm ride.

Swapping to smaller wheels (and therefore higher profile tyres) will soften it a LITTLE but it will not transform the firm ride to a soft one.

If you are looking for a soft ride, then you will probably find the A2 a firm ride.

I see that as a bonus and enjoy the better handling and steering response, but there are lots of others on here that have swapped to smaller wheels and they are happier with that.

Steve B

It's a combination of two things - the lower profile types, and also a more rigid suspension. Both can be cured ... 15"s or 16"s will add a centimeter or two extra rubber, and replacing the decade-old suspension with something like Spidan springs + Monroe Reflex dampers will also help.

You are relatively near Milton Keynes ... Tony at A2 Cars changed my suspension for me (mine was worn out).

-- Edit: Steve is obviously much quicker off the mark than me :)

Last edited:
One of the problems with the Sport ride quality could also be down to unknowingly driving with buckled or flat spotted wheels.

When I saw the title of this thread I was thinking

Rubber Javelins?
Inflatable shot puts
Long jumping onto a matress
A pillow for a rugby ball

But that is just me, mad!!!

Steve B

Thanks for ALL replies!

I'm realising that the A2 market is such that you can't be too picky...

Simon.

Word of warning if you look at going down the Spidan springs and Monroe Reflex route... a road that I know very well in Snowdonia became somewhat scary with my new setup, there's a lot more lift over bumps! The dampers did their job but the car felt nervy for the 1st time ever making me question my choice. Indeed I think now, in hindsight, I'd have preferred to stay with stock suspension.
I haven't noticed a major improvement in comfort and to be honest, I never found the sport springs plus 17" too bad but things like the rubber seats should be checked as they do wear out.

Cheers,

Simon.

I wouldn't discount a Sport without actually trying one or two first as not every one thinks the ride is awful so you really need to form your own opinion.

Personally I like the sport set up even with a dodgy back

Vonnie

Back