Sole Key for my little A2 lost - Advice sought please

booboo

Hi All
I have mislaid, probably lost forever, my only key for the car. I didnt know it was my only key till I lost it and realised I couldnt find the plastic 'master' or 'emergency' key either, it must have been binned by someone when we moved (not me this time, honest guv) Anyhow, now I need to get a new one cut and want to know the most economical way of doing this. My local Audi dealer quoted £180 (bargain I thought, not!)
I do have access into the car but obviously cant move it unless its towed.
Any suggestions would be most welcomed, along with the price I can expect to pay. My gut feeling is I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay the stealer what they want but this site has provided really good advice in the past so thought it was worth a shot asking the question.................

you will have to jump through all sorts of hoops, too. Take the V5, your passport, a utility bill or five and anything else you can think of to prove your ownership of the car and confirm your own identity.

Bret

As Spike rightly says, without a blade, neither myself nor Sarge can help.

You can order a new key from a dealer and you'll need the logbook (V5) plus another two forms of ID (one preferably with your photo).

This charge is the standard fee I'm afraid, but once you've got another key, I'd recommend you visit either Sarge or me and we'll sort you out with another one, so that you're never in this predicament again.

Cheers,

Mike

Key- Further questions for Mike & Spike please

I managed to get a locksmith to open one of the car doors for me ( I was hoping I had left the key in the car somewhere and the car had then timed out and locked itself with the key inside) The locksmith reckon they can cut another key for me but arent sure whether they can code it, they say if the car is over a certain age it will need to go to Audi.
My questions are:
Can one you guys code me a new key if I get just a key cut for the door?
If so, where are you based and would I need to get a donor fob from eBay first.
And finally, that being the case, which one from eBay do I need to buy? (there seems to be a few fobs that claim to work on an A2 on there)

Cheers again chaps
John

Well, that's a decent start John.

Please fill in all your details, as to location, car details and so on and then you'll need to look in the passenger footwell compartment to get me a number from the black box that sits on top under there.

I need this number so that I can advise on keys from Ebay.

Once you get this info, have a blade cut and make sure that it works on the door and in the ignition, then get another couple cut (one for the spare fob, one to put on your house keys) and then either come to me (near Manchester) or Sarge (North London) and we'll sort you out.

Cheers,

Mike

Which number from the Black Box Mike?

I am getting together the information Mike but need to know which number specifically you require from the top of the black box under the passenger footwell, there are a few to choose from.

Cheers

John

It's the one that starts off 8Z0 959 . . . . .

Depending on the bit at the end, it'll affect the type of key you must get from Ebay.

Cheers,

Mike

Well, it's good news for you, as you have the later type of convenience unit, which opens up key choice considerably.

You can go for the original style fob, the style as per the one you've lost. You need to look out for a certain part number though: 8Z0 837 231D and the D is important.

You can also go for the newer style fob:

audi500.jpg

There are 2 different part numbers you can get here, 8E0 837 220Q or 8E0 837 220K, No other (similar) part numbers will be suitable, so 8D0 837 220Q won't work, neither will 8E0 837 220R

The important thing you need to consider is that the old fobs will still be able to open the car and start it. I'd urge you to get at least one new key asap, because when I match and recode them to your A2, I will also remove the ability of the old fobs to open or start the car. Yes, anyone in possession of an old fob could still open the car with the key in the door, but they'll not be able to start it, as I disable the transponder syncing as part of putting new keys onto the system.

Cheers,

Mike

Well, it's good news for you, as you have the later type of convenience unit, which opens up key choice considerably.

You can go for the original style fob, the style as per the one you've lost. You need to look out for a certain part number though: 8Z0 837 231D and the D is important.

You can also go for the newer style fob:

audi500.jpg

There are 2 different part numbers you can get here, 8E0 837 220Q or 8E0 837 220K, No other (similar) part numbers will be suitable, so 8D0 837 220Q won't work, neither will 8E0 837 220R

The important thing you need to consider is that the old fobs will still be able to open the car and start it. I'd urge you to get at least one new key asap, because when I match and recode them to your A2, I will also remove the ability of the old fobs to open or start the car. Yes, anyone in possession of an old fob could still open the car with the key in the door, but they'll not be able to start it, as I disable the transponder syncing as part of putting new keys onto the system.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks Mike
I will now go off and search fleabay for the right key, my initial search shows that a lot of the adverts dont give the whole product code to refer to, my search may take a little time then. Can I clarify that the key does or does not need to be 'new' ? Some of the adverts suggest used keys cant be re-coded?

cheers
John

Used keys cannot be recoded, unless they have a new transponder fitted, which is what I do!

Send a PM to Grim Reaper, Deseli, A2sumo, MPG Lover or HUWS66 to name a few members whom I've supplied new (to them) keys.

Basically, find a key on ebay that matches the numbers I've given, buy it, have the blade cut to suit (note, the newer style key uses a shorter blade than the original style key) and then pay me or Sarge a visit to have the rest done, including taking the old keys off the system (PM Sarge to check he can do all the needed work, as I think he was having a bit of trouble with certain bits at one point).

If the part number isn't listed on the Ebay item, ask the seller!

Cheers,

Mike

PS All the keys will operate on a 434mHz frequency

Hi Mike,

Thats really interesting, I like the idea of the newer key. If I check the module reference, could it be done to mine?

If you have a cccu that ends in the letter Q (or F), then you are limited to the older style keys. Anthing else and you can have the newer style ones and yes, I can sort this for you.

Wouldn't recommend coming over the tops at the moment though!!

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
She lives!

Because if the urgency required in getting her back on the road, I bit the bullet and had a guy come out and sort me out a new (non Audi) key to get the me going. It wasnt easy though, the battery was flat (she hasnt been started up for over 4 weeks now)so after he left I had to get her started and then out for a trip to re-charge the battery. Anyhow, suffice to say, I am back in the game! (The locksmith supplied the key and coded it for £100)

I would still like to get at least one OEM keys sorted out so will be sourcing one from eBay, getting it cut and then contacting Sarge with a view to him carrying out the rest. I am grateful for all the information you have provided Mike, I really wouldnt have had a clue about the rules about buying the right key , you have undoubtedly saved me many £££'s in mistaken buys! I would certainly have liked to have had you code the new key for me but I live in Bedford and you are in the north, its a pity, it would have been nice to put a face to the name behind many interesting fixes and facts you have supplied to A2 drivers.
Thanks again
John

If you have a cccu that ends in the letter Q (or F), then you are limited to the older style keys. Anthing else and you can have the newer style ones and yes, I can sort this for you.

Wouldn't recommend coming over the tops at the moment though!!

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers Mike!

Its been pretty rough with the weather and all, but I have brought the trusty A2 over to North Wales today :) Its has done very well in the snow, with my rather cumbersome A4 still stood in the drive because it doesn't want to play in the snow!

Hi Mike
I think I finally have the key and the blade (uncut) , I did PM Sarge as he lives in north London, which is somewhat nearer but he cant be around at the moment as he isnt responding, is there anyone else in the south ( I live in Bedford) who can assist me in getting the key programmed? I also need to ask about the key itself, I decided on the new type fob ( 8EO 837 220 K FREQ: 433MHz) , you mentioned the length of the blade being shorter, you didnt mention whether you meant by this that it doesnt work for the A2?
Cheers
John

Back