Solution for 3 children in the rear issue??

a2denmark

I sold my a2 1.2 tdi a while back but have been ever since dying to get ahold of another... the problem is that I have three children under the age of 4, and the 3L version never came with 3 seatbelts in the rear; and that's the only version I would buy.

I think I have found an easy solution!

There is a 3 child car seat which can fit as one unit into the rear seats, have a look and let me know what your opinion would be!

http://www.multimac.co.uk/3_child_car_seat

The only issue would be the mounting of the eye-bolt as the seatbelts are fastened to the seats, but nothing a little drilling and fastening wouldn't solve right?

What a funny Invention! ONly think I'd consider is how long are your kids going to be small enough to get them all strapped into the thing..

I spoke to friend who is in the police, about this situation in my 4 seater,

He said as long as the passengers have a belt, the police would not be concerned if the seats were designed only for 4 people.

There may be come other police on here who could confirm.

The concern might be the insurance!

Multimac

We have already fitted a Multimac to an A2, and can use the existing steel seat frame as the mounting for our eye-bolts.

The Multimac has been approved to take children up to 36kg [~12 years old], and our new 3-seater model MM-930 [available soon] also fits neatly in the rear of the TT.....

It is approved by the insurance companies and authorities: car loadings are determined by weight, and 3 x 36 kg children are less than 2 x 80kg adults...
and 4 x 36kg children are less than 3 x 80 kg adults. QED

3 seats

I am a police officer and see no problem with the fitting of this unit as it is designed as such and i presume has a c.e or kite mark ect.

I would however lock the sellers up for theft!!! have you seen the price of this unit!!!

however if you adapted the a2 ie fitted a lap belt ect as long as it passes an mot i would not see a problem with it.

you may need to inform your insurance comapny though as it is an adaptation to the original equipment fitted to the vehicle as standard.
if you were to have an accident your insurance may rule you broke their terms and conditions ect if you did not tell them.

Simon

That's good news, thanks for the input! I wonder if they put it on the bench model or split seat setup?

My other curiousity is if it could be used legally in other EU countries?

It is pretty pricy but if it's your only option to get 3 small children safely transported around, then there's not a whole lot to do...and it seems to be more of a special item vs. something mass produced, making it pricier for the end consumer.

I've considered the whole adding a third seatbelt option, but after researching, it doesn't seem feasible in the 3L model as the bench wasn't engineered for this (it has serious weight reduction thus removing a lot of guts from the seats).

Why would you use it on the bench set up that has 3 seats anyway?

Because the 3L 1.2 tdi version never came with 3 rear seats. In order to save weight, they left out many internal guts of the rear seats leaving them very light and without any 3rd seatbelt...this is the only feasible option to have 3 children in the rear and still get about 95mpg...I guess you could do it in the Lupo 3L too, but good Lord that's tiny!

Why would you use it on the bench set up that has 3 seats anyway?
Because you can't fit 3 conventional child seats across an A2, even with a bench seat. The seats are just too bulky, width-wise. We can get 2 child seats in the back of ours with a 3rd in the front. A small adult can just squeeze between the 2 seats in the back for short journeys.

Back