Spare Tyre

doctor

Having just read Havanks bad news, I have not (lucky me) experienced a puncture in the A2 yet:rolleyes:

I do have a spare alloy (without tyre) and so:

Would the Alloy+Tyre fit into the existing spare wheel well in the boot?

I see the advantages outweigh the use of the "get me home only" spare.

Doc

hello doctor, if it is 17" alloy, with the tyre on it does not fit if you want it flat. I have one and leave it in the garage and carry the space saver.
When I checked berfore I bought the full size 17" spare, there were not many alternative wheels that will fit in if you want to cover it with the false floor, as the width of the wheel precludes full closure.
The annoying thing however having had two punctures, is that a space saver as it says of course occupies a space much smaller than the full size alloy, therefore the alloy has to be carried back home either on the back seat/footwell or stood up in the boot. Crap idea all around, and sadly the major manufacturers still persist with this.

hope this helps
Glen

One of the guys I work with drives a Porsche 911 and apparently if you get a puncture in that, you change for the spacesaver wheel and then chain your punctured wheel to a lamp-post or similar and wait for Porsche assistance to pick it up for you......

Not sure if he was winding me up but there is no space in the car to put a full size spare.

Rob Earl said:
One of the guys I work with drives a Porsche 911 and apparently if you get a puncture in that, you change for the spacesaver wheel and then chain your punctured wheel to a lamp-post or similar and wait for Porsche assistance to pick it up for you......

Not sure if he was winding me up but there is no space in the car to put a full size spare.
Sounds like he's winding you up,I know the back wheels are pretty big but I'm pretty sure it would fit where the rear seats are or on the passenger seat.
Plus when its punctured you could squash the rubber down abit.

A Boxster on the other hand would be a completely different kettle of fish.

Sounds like a wind up to me.

However a real wind-up is that a friend bought a £60,000+ second-hand Porsche 911 from an authorised dealer and two days later the front wheel came flying off at 40mph. He was lucky in that it happened just before he was about to go on the motorway and he avoided other vehicles. Called out the AA who discovered that the bolts on all the wheels were loose. He had the 911 repaired (wheel hub etc) but the Porsche dealer would not take responsibility for the loose bolts or the cost of the repairs. Three months later and small claims date nearing they finally settled on three quarters of the cost. If you thought we had it hard with Audi dealers...

Last edited:
I have the 16inch wheels, so what should i be looking for in space saver

I know it is an 15 inch 5 stud, but for what size tyre should i be looking for

what is originaly fitted on the space saver (so if somebody with the original space saver could have a look in his/her trunk :D )

Thanks

Chris

I've had 3 punctures since March, only ever had one before in 30+ years of driving. After the first one I bought a spacesaver (from an Audi TT) on eBay for £40(delivered). It is an 18" item with a 3.5" width Continental tyre, but is the same rolling diameter as my 17" Sport wheels on the A2. Best £40 I've spent in ages! Just need to sort out the SE false boot-floor to cover it. Looks a pretty easy mod, but not sure how much the parts will cost. Anyone retrofitted an SE false floor?

Last edited:
Back