Information Spax/Apex 25mm lowering springs, anyone had any experience?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
I’m planning to do a suspension overhaul by the end of the year. There are no current problems with the suspension I have but its now on 105k miles so I would imagine its getting a little tired.

I’ve ordered a set of Monroe Reflex shocks front and back and will buy the various other ancillaries over the next couple of months.

I have read the definitive suspension thread but most of the springs mentioned there are either no longer available or only available from Germany.

I’m not looking for a drastic drop in the ride height; I would rather 20mm springs if possible but can’t seem to find any.

My main priority is not to lose any of the current feel in the way the car currently drives i.e not to affect the steering weight with negative camber or make the suspension more ‘crashy’ and to hopefully get them for around the £100 mark.

The only brands I’ve come across at present that are readily available and I’m aware of are Spax and Apex both lowering by 25mm. Has anyone had any experience with these springs or is able to make any suggestions on a spring that would fit my criteria?

Thanks

Steve

P.S Sorry if this is a repeated subject but I have done a search and all links I have found are directed to the smartbanner homepage.

Hi Steve I have not tried those springs but can report that the weitec springs are at the comfortable end of sports springs as I have those on my Fsi. My tdi and Vonnies tdi both have Monroe reflex but we wanted a firmer ride so went with the known hard springs from H&R.
The drop in height with the weitecs is not extreme and by using the "se" spec top spring rear mounts you can lift the rear if it's to low, I also have plastic ring spacers under my rear springs and I can make some more if needed. Hope this helps but suspension is such a tricky thing to comment on as some people hate a hard ride others prefer it. Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike, I don't mind a firm ride I just don't want to make it any more crashy over bumps (for want of a bettrer word).

Wheer did you buy teh weitecs from? I havn't been able to see any from the usual sources.

Try Europerformance.co.uk I have had stuff from them before. The weitecs are far from crashy and turns the car from a typical small car to feeling like a big car when going over our battle scarred roads. Cheers Mike

I've now found the Weitecs using the suggested site by Mike. There are two variations listed 30/00 and 30/30. I prefer the idea of the 30/0 as I think its the front of the car that rides too high compared with the back. Can anyone think of any detrimental effect of using 30mm lower uprated springs on the front and retaining the standard SE rears?

Hi Steve I had exactly that set up when I had my ones fitted and it sat high and the handling was rubbish - so much so I thought "what have I just wasted my money on" but once the weitecs were fitted back on (my original box had 2sets of front in error) it was great. Also worth noting that you can't just buy rear weitecs.
I will say if you buy the front and rears and don't like the rears and prefer the se. I will buy your rear springs if you want to sell them. Cheers Mike.

I will bear the offer in mind Mike although I am now concerned about the imbalance of only fitting fronts. I'm in no rush so will try to do as much research as possible.

Back