Split oil filler pipe.

Robin_Cox

As described in my other recent "Car DIY SOS" post about the failed-closed thermostat on my BHC (now fixed), my AMF-engined car suffered a large oil leak 10 days ago that turned out to be a split oil filler pipe.

I've read the couple of other threads on here that describe the repair using 19mm (3/4") rubber oil pipe, so I decided to order some of this in case I can effect a repair myself.

Opening the bonnet it was clear that the corrugated pipe had split around an inch forward of the oil filter housing and was completely floating. Unclipping the corrugated tube from the filler end revealed that there is an inner clear plastic tube that was able to be withdrawn from the lower fixing end, leaving the quick-release, metal tube end and a small amount of corrugated tube in place in the oil filter housing.

I don't recall any mention of the clear inner tube in the other threads (unless I have completely missed it) - so the question I have is whether this tube here is an original part or something that has been improvised over time? The black end was at the engine end, the clear end was up by the filler.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 186
Alternatively you can use a blindplug and never ever have any issues again. Refill oil using the oil filler cap located on top of engine.

06C1A156-5281-4DE7-909F-B58571BCD1D0.jpeg

Think I would repair / replace the pipe for the service flap oil filler point as removing the engine cover to access the oil filler cap needs tools.

Yes to me it looks like someone previously had a leak in the filler pipe and inserted another pipe inside to try to "fix" it.

Engine cover needs to be removed anyway for access to the filter housing. If your car consumes oil during the service interval, it takes 10 minutes extra to gain access to the oil cap

But only seconds to drop the service flap and check the dipstick and top up if needed in the oil filler..... As designed by Audi.

It would be good, methinks, for the collective brain to devise a replacement for these oil filler pipes. What is manufactured can be made again.
I can see a popular future group purchase coming up. I am also thinking about coolant pipes and other NLA consumables. Maybe Febi would be interested? I know that we have the talent here in the UK, so lets see what comes up.

The oil filler pipe is not the same across the different models unfortunately. On the diesel there is a lower metal rigid pipe that fits into the oil filter mounting block, the corrugated plastic pipe in the middle and an upper coupling / clip that fits onto the bottom of the oil filler location "tank".

The corrugated pipe enables the filler to pivot out in use ( the o ring at the coupling end does not let the pie rotate ) and this is normally where the failure occurs. Obtaining replacement corrugated plastic tube probably not too difficult. Getting an oil tight join for both ends more difficult.

Perhaps the person who modified Robins pipe pictured above was onto something by fitting an internal pipe. The correct diameter, length and material would be required.

This is what the 1.4 diesel one looks like...

1650283953662.png

Still available from about £120 upwards....

Back