Chat Splittable headlamps

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

Because I want to upgrade my headlamp units including DRLs etc. I wanted to find some splittable headlamps but I had assumed they would be very rare and difficult to find. But I just found two on my first search through eBay, was I lucky or are they not as rare as I was lead to believe?
I paid £29 for one (a bargain regardless) and £53 for the other (in very good condition).

Unfortunately both were driver's side but at least that means that I can make a good one out of the two.

I will be on the lookout for a nearside splittable headlamp (or two) but if anyone has any they want to sell please let me know.

I want to experiment a little.

I know that David (DJ190) has been experimenting like this, perhaps between us we could come up with a good option that others could consider too?

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
£329? I hope thats a mistype Steve

Can you not split a sealed unit by heating the seal and gradually pulling apart? Then re seal with some proper sealant?

Good luck with your plans, i am also going to do something similar. :)

£329? I hope thats a mistype Steve

Can you not split a sealed unit by heating the seal and gradually pulling apart? Then re seal with some proper sealant?

Good luck with your plans, i am also going to do something similar. :)

Yes, I have just corrected that typo !!! LOL, it was £29 !! a real bargain.

Yes, it is possible to split the other type of headlamp but not that easy, and I want to be able to open it up as often as I need to, especially when experimenting, so the splittable style is ideal.

Steve B

Both have arrived now and the strange thing is that the £29 headlamp is in better condition than the £53 one!!

Both are useable and so no need to make one out of the two!!

I will start experimenting and see what I can come up with.

If it works out I will ideally need a splittable nearside unit, but perhaps I can just use a "non-splittable" one for the nearside when I have finished experimenting with the offside one, because once I have the ideal solution worked out and tested there would be no need to use a splittable unit, I can just adapt a "fixed one".

At least I now how something to do in the warmth of the living room !!!! (when the wife is out that is!!!)

Steve B

I saw a video somewhere on the internet. A box was built out of cardboard and heated with a heat gun. The non splittable headlight was put into the box and after a while it was warm enough to be splitted.

I saw a video somewhere on the internet. A box was built out of cardboard and heated with a heat gun. The non splittable headlight was put into the box and after a while it was warm enough to be splitted.
Maybe a kitchen oven at a low temp would do the trick ?
Like for skiboots, etc. (I did it once for high end inline skates)

S
Ref attached thread, various techniques have been tried in the past but none seem to guarantee success - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?8013-Early-type-A2-head-lights&highlight=headlight+glue

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike, yes I belive that to be the case.

I now have two splitable offside headlamps and so I am looking for a nearside one.
I think I know what I will be doing now I have had a play around with these. So if I can find a splitable passenger side one I will install both.

Cheers
Steve B

I am about to do the same, please update us of your progress.
Have you decided on what projectors to use?

It's likely the A2 headlamp shells may literally be a tougher nut to crack and more like this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIiglkq7HA&feature=fvw

Yes, they certainly are! I have separated them, so I know!. I used a variable-heat hot-air blower and a range of spatulas/screwdrivers, etc. There was little damage to the front covers, but some bending to the main body. The oven

method would be much better, I guess. The problem is that the very tough adhesive lies in the retaining groove of the main body and therefore is difficult to soften and open-up. General heating in an oven would be far more effective.

David

Back