Spolier Touch up & Castle Red Paint

millie

Have had my A2 now for a whole month & I love it. Just trying to give it some TLC, I need, if anyone out there knows where I can get touch up paints for the rear spoiler which has a few chips which show up as white and a couple of scratches on my bodywork. I am reliably informed by this forum that my colour is 'Castle Red', it's a kind of chocolate colour, definately not red by any means. Can anyone help please?

Look in the boot under the floor were the trye gunk is you should have a sticker with the colour code on it. The colour code should also be in the front of your manual with all the option codes.

Thank you, I now have my book of words! It quotes 'Paint No BAD ---GKZ, where do I go from here?

You genius Bret, thank you, it is that colour, and now reading across the book correctly, it does say LZ3R/LZ3R. How do i get it? Halfrauds was of no use, do I go to Audi direct perhaps? Love the alloys on the attachment!

millie said:
You genius Bret, thank you, it is that colour, and now reading across the book correctly, it does say LZ3R/LZ3R. How do i get it? Halfrauds was of no use, do I go to Audi direct perhaps? Love the alloys on the attachment!
Hell frauds will mix the colour for you - they did me a can for Tank and the match was spot on.

You can get the paint from a dealer, obviously, but they normally supply only liquid paint, not an aerosol.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
Hell frauds will mix the colour for you - they did me a can for Tank and the match was spot on.

You can get the paint from a dealer, obviously, but they normally supply only liquid paint, not an aerosol.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, they did a can for wifeys Bravo and it didn't match at all, totally the wrong shade of green, I'm colour blind and I can see it, and you can but rattle cans from a stealer, they come with the clear laquer as well.

cheers
the other Mike

Hi TDiMan,

Not neccesarily the best comparison; I am a mechanic, and for many years my business partner was a profoundly colour-blind painter (Yes, Really!)
He could, literally, not tell colours apart, but he was an absolute demon on shades, and spotting touch-ins which no-one else could see.

Colour-blindness gives, as well as taking away!

ScotAlan

Hi millie
If you are only touching in minor stone chips etc, the brush inside the paint pencil is usually a bit too big. After giving it a good shake, use it to put some paint on a clean tin lid then use a small artists brush for applying the paint to the car.

Cheers Spike

spike said:
Hi millie
If you are only touching in minor stone chips etc, the brush inside the paint pencil is usually a bit too big. After giving it a good shake, use it to put some paint on a clean tin lid then use a small artists brush for applying the paint to the car.

Cheers Spike
I tend to use a cocktail stick on horizontal surfaces - this allows you to put the tiniest of drops into the chip and the paint then finds its own level. Repeat until you get the paint slightly proud of the surface, then blend in with a cutting polish.

CHeers,

Mike

Spike/Skipton, I need your help again, I have casing now for replacement wing mirror but no paint, tried Stafford Audi, where you sent me for touch up paint, they had that but don't do spray. Stealer wants around £90, would rather do it myself than pay that, had a look on Ebay to no avail, I think that as Castle Red is such a rare colour Halfords don't do it either, where can I go, surely I don't have to go to stealer? Thanks in advance.

Hi Millie,

I believe that Halfords offer a mixing service if the colour is not available 'off the shelf' and that Mike, (Skipton), has made good use of this in the past and has experienced some good colour matching as a result.

I am sure Mike will respond himself on this to confirm however.

Regards,

Darren

Find your nearest AUTOPAINT int shop(should be in yellow pages)they will mix up whatever you want in any form you want i.e. Aerosol,Liquid,Singlepack,Two-pack etc.

I get most of the touch-up paints I need mixed up from them and they are normally good and reasonable priced.

Hi Millie,

As Darren says, I've had Tanks colour (Ebony Black Pearlescent) mixed by Halfords and the match was perfect.

You get to see what goes in too as they mix it (never knew that there was red in my black!) and the can is a 'professional' fan-spray nozzle.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Millie
I thought your local Audi dealer would be able to order spray cans in any colour but if not, try Halfords, Autopaints or even Partco. As you probably know, you will need primer, the Castle Red basecoat and clear laquer. Paint thinners also come in useful to soak the spray can nozzles in after use. If you go ahead, once the casing is fully painted, I would leave it for about a week to fully harden before fitting the mirror assy. A fair bit if force is needed to press in the mirror glass so the risk of spoiling the new paint finish is high until it fully hardens off. (I learn this the hard way)

Cheers Spike

Back