Sport v SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simmo

Hi

Just in process of changing my A2. Currently running a TDI SE. I wondered if anyone had experince of both Sport and SE and if there are any appreciable differences in ride quality/handling

Also, I note that the Sport model doesnt have the following, when compared to the SE:-

Dual Floor Boot - Can this be retrofitted?
Sill Protection Trims - Ditto?
Front Fog Lights - (I notice VAG parts do a retro kit but how easy is this to fit?)

Finally, has anyone got a 90PS TDI? Is there an appreciable difference in econonmy/performance compared to the 75PS?

Many thanks in anticipation

Lee

2002 A2 TDI SE, Azure Blue, Symphony II, Bose, Satellite Cloth

Hi Lee,

I changed from a TDi SE to a TDi Sport about a year ago.

There are pluses and minuses to this switch.

On the plus side you get stiffer suspension which transforms the A2 into a go cart around bends. On the negative side you have to sacrifice ride quality which is hard on all but the smoothest of surfaces. I've always prefered my cars set up with harder suspension so the Sport suits me. I'd suggest you get an extended test drive in the Sport, the difference will be self evident as you are used to the SE set up. When I had a test drive in the Sport it was after driving the SE for 16 months and the difference was very apparent.

You do lose some items of equipment like the illuminated vanity mirrors, dual floor boot (can be retro fitted but is a more involved job than first appears, don't miss it), sill protection trims (just look like stickers to me), front fogs (I did miss these initially but I've got used to not having them).

But you do gain Drivers Information System (very useful), sports seats with electric lumbar support (you seem to sit in the seats rather than sit on them, much more supportive than the SE seats). Quattro GMbh suspension (stiffer and lower) with the 17" Wheels (These are a pain to keep clean and are very prone to kerbing, having said that mine are unmarked after 14 months)they do look the part though.

Hope this helps

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Oh and I forgot the three spoke leather sports steering wheel.

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Thanks for that Shaf.

My wife predominantly uses the car and i have a blast at the weekends. I have an A4 Quattro Sport so personally, I am also used to a stiffer ride.

As you suggest, I think a test drive is required.

We dont want to buy brand new if possible, so are limited for choice as we have specific requirements such as climte, open sky, winter pack etc.

Thanks again.

Lee

If I was going to offer any advice, I wont now just because you drive an A4 Quattro...! Lucky man!

I'll only say that if your wife misses the illuminated vanity mirrors, she'll get them included with the OpenSky roof.
Also, I have sill protection trims in my Sport. Go figure...

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

A good compromise could be the harder suspensioned Sport, combined with alloy wheels and 195/55R15 tyres from the VW Polo Sport.

You would have to overinflate the 195/55R15 tyres by 20% to feel as hard as the 205/40R17 tyres.

These Polo tyres are much better at absorbing pot holes and other bumps in the road. It's just too easy to damage the Sport wheels and knock out the steering alignment with 205/40s.

[24]

In the end we decided to go for the SE with the following spec.

A2 TDI SE
90PS
04 model year
Akoya Silver
Black interior
Matrix cloth
Climate
Symphony
Open Sky
Winter Pack
ISOFIX
Storage Pack
DIS
5 spoke 16" 'star' lloys
Supaguard protection

Just waiting for Dealer to confirm build week but they are hopeful that they can get it to me within 8 weeks. Also they are supplying a courtesy car from 1 March until the new one arrives.[25]

Hayselden Audi - Doncaster[24]

ON ORDER: 2004 A2 TDI SE 90PS, Akoya Silver, Climate, Open Sky, Winter pack, Symphony II, DIS, ISOFIX, Star Alloys, Matrix Cloth, Storage Pack

Nice.
You'll like the TDI 90, noticeably more oomph than the 75 and quieter. I got mine in about 8 weeks, clearly the robots in Neckarsulm are sitting around idle. Didja get your special offer on climate+metallic?

Yes - got climate and metallic for £250 less some discount.

Generally got a v good deal - much better than when i bought the previous A2 two years ago!

ON ORDER: 2004 A2 TDI SE 90PS, Akoya Silver, Climate, Open Sky, Winter pack, Symphony II, DIS, ISOFIX, Star Alloys, Matrix Cloth, Storage Pack

simmo

Can I be cheeky and ask how much in total the A2 cost you (your new one!).

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

It would be wrong for me to discuss specifics but what I can say is on my last A2 I got a 4% discount which i was happy with at the time - without pressing this time I got 4% and when pressed got more on top.

They sold me a car, i got a reasonable discount - is that a win-win situation?

Nice colour and spec.
Did you have a test drive in the 90 PS, if so, was the extra grunt noticable?
Shaf

I havent test driven the 90ps version. I did have a re-map of my 75ps one tho - so i am assuming power/torque should be comparable. If this is so then i will be more than happy.

Good luck with the black interior - it is a pig to keep clean!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Black surely cant be worse than light grey with 2 kids under 4? - I hope not anyway!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back