Starter motor

hi all I have a 1.4 tdi and the starter motor has died after 182,000 miles can somebody give me a step by step guide as how to change out as I have the new one sitting waiting to go in

many thanks

rik

hi all I have a 1.4 tdi and the starter motor has died after 182,000 miles can somebody give me a step by step guide as how to change out as I have the new one sitting waiting to go in

many thanks

rik

Before you change it please do check the earth connection under the bonnet.

That has definitely been the cause of several "Failed" starter motors that were not actually failed.

On 3 separate occasions I have been told by trustworthy mechanics that the starter motor was at fault and on each occasion it really was the usual bad earth. WIth that cleaned up everything was fine.

Before it "died" it was becoming progressively slower over time too.

Steve B

Just spotted your comment indicating that you have bought a new one, in that case when it is fitted it is a great time to clean that earth I was talking about. In your case it is easy to find, just follow the thick black earth lead from the body of the motor up to the chassis secton where it is bolted to, undo the bolt carefully (they snap off!) clean/sand the bolt face, washer and body where it makes contact. That should last a long time.

Steve B

Last edited:
Before you change it please do check the earth connection under the bonnet.

That has definitely been the cause of several "Failed" starter motors that were not actually failed.

On 3 separate occasions I have been told by trustworthy mechanics that the starter motor was at fault and on each occasion it really was the usual bad earth. WIth that cleaned up everything was fine.

Before it "died" it was becoming progressively slower over time too.

Steve B
where is earth connection under bonnet?

There is a large earth behind the right headlight on inner wing chassis bit. Worth doing that one too

where is earth connection under bonnet?

Andy

On TDIs it is very easy to replace the starter; sits with just two bolts, and you do not need to remove anything to get access. Takes a hour or so.

But yes, check the black earth cable from starter to chassis.

I did a thread if you search starshine it should come up "tdi non start"

Later i did change my starter to get rid of that horrid noise on start up, it was fused solid to the gearbox, used a large piece of wood and hammer but upon removal it had cracked the starter casing!

Back