Starts then cuts out

Hello I have a 53 plate 1.4tdi my problem is that after drying the car out with the use of a fan heater the car starts but cuts out after about 5 secounds. When the door is open nothing is displayed on the dash and the same when the key is put in and turned to position II apart from 4 symbols Air bag, Battery, ABS, and Engine managment but no dash lights with lights on either and the electric windows do not work. In the boot I removed mouldings for tools and jack to soak up water I also removed tray for what i believed to be for the Sat Nav CD rom this has a component (any idea what this is?)attached to it I unclipped this but did not disconnect it maybe nothing to do with it.
Regards Steve.

I would suspect an engine immobiliser fault or key pairing issue as a starting point.

Q, How wet has the car got and in what areas have you been looking?? under the footwells, where the ECU is??

Regards Malcolm

Have you got a rocker switch on the end of the wiper stalk? If so, it's possible that the centre display has been turned off (there's a reset button on the bottom of this stalk - press it momentarily to toggle the display on and off).

Next step is to check all the connections in the passenger footwell compartment - these may have got water in them and if so will be responsible for the cut-out.

Are you getting any flashing symbols (glow plug light, car/key symbol)?

Cheersm

Mike

Thanks for your responses Mike and Malcom,
No rocker switch at the end of wiper stalk.
The car started this morning everything doing what it should not taken it for a run yet!
I looked at the connections in the passenger foot well last night and found condesation on the plugs I believe this was the problem. Thanks for your help Guys.
Regards Steve.

Back