Stealth black smoke

the grim reeper

A2OC Donor
Hi i've been looking at getting my A2 remapped was looking at going to stealth, been looking for awhile and untill a recent thread was not aware that stealth had a problem with black smoke, is this common on all remaps?, and how does it effect your M.O.T

Cheers Phil

Don;t worry about it - if you are referring to the remap that Robin had done, then his was a really severe map that did chick out loads of smoke.

I'm currently running a Stealth map and have pretty much zero smoke and have had no MOT issues either.

Cheers,

Mike

Stealth Remap

HaZeL is running a stealth remap and have not noticed any smoke during normal driving, however I have seen a little at full "embedded in the carpet" throttle but only when heading for the redline.

We had HaZeL serviced by Swindon Audi and on their checklist it includes an emmisions and smoke test.

80K - 4th longlife service and all they found was the tyre gel was out of date (2005) everything else was in the green so all is well with HaZeL.

Hi i've been looking at getting my A2 remapped was looking at going to stealth, been looking for awhile and untill a recent thread was not aware that stealth had a problem with black smoke, is this common on all remaps?, and how does it effect your M.O.T

Cheers Phil

Firstly, black smoke its not a problem, secondly mine does not smoke and although some may do, to say that all stealth maps smoke is wrong. I have over the last 4 years put my foot to the floor and seen the odd cloud on rare occasions, at that time i didn't have a re-map. Just like every other diesel car (in general) you will occasionally get smoke, you will also see Diesel cars smoking all the time.

I really wouldn't worry about it, and as Skipton says it won't effect the car, the turbo or the MOT. Smoking may be a reflection of the condition of you car more than a re-map IMO. but a completely none smoking PD TDI Audi engine is rare, in fact i can't think of an Audi that hasn't nailed it in front of me that didn't smoke on occasions, its more a characteristic of diesels whether its an A2, A3, A4, A6, A8, or renaults, mitusbishi shoguns etc.

A diesel infront of you on a slip road or motorway with foot to the floor driving, is more likely to smoke than not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but regular emmissions of black smoke is a problem - it is a sign of incomplete combustion, so it indicates that something is amiss in your engine at that point. That may not sound like a problem short-term (except for the car behind!), but long-term it certainly is and it will damage your engine, no question. Just because lots of diesels produce smoke does not mean that that therefore is acceptable or nothing to worry about.

Lots of petrol cars 'pink'; people do nothing about it because they think "oh lots of cars pink", but the fact is, it's slowy but surely killing the engine. If a petrol engine pinks regularly, you should investigate. If a diesel engine smokes regularly, you should investigate. Just because the MOT emissions test only looks at particulates on no-load doesn't mean there's not something going on with your engine!

It sounds like that as Stealth are doing custom remaps, then you could ask them to ensure they don't push it chasing big BHP, that way you'll minimise smoke.

Last edited:
Was considering changing the service regime (to long service interval) of my car before I realised that the mileage I cover does not warrant it. The VAG (VW garage) service guy said that it detects the depreciation of the quality of the engine oil and to slow this process down the car needed to be red-lined (suggested a slip road) until a huge cloud of black smoke came out the back. Due to my tardiness I didn't question him further.......

now you see this is what i mean i had searched on here and found nothing about a smoke problem from stealth, but then you get dan b saying that there is and it a problem for your engine.
But being in the trade for some years and working with new audi's, the new Audi's smoke(when you rev them) is there a problem with them?, i don't think so , but i thought that when you do a tun-up you get the engine to burn the right amount of fuel for the revs and speed you are doing (when done on a RR)

I'm still looking at stealth haven't give them a call yet to get a quote, have gotten a quote from MIJ Performance for a remap and ss exhaust for £555 which i don't thinks a bad price, but not found anyone on here that has used them so still a bit unsure. will have get in touch with stealth and take it from there

Cheers Phil

I used to work with Peugeots and they always smoked from new if you bury the throttle,almost so you couldnt see them!
So odd puff of smoke or cleaning out the exhaust isnt a problem to me.:)

I agree with chubbybrown.
When you floor the throttle, turbo boost takes a second or two to catch up with the fuelling, even though the ECU and engine sensors will try to limit the effects.
I would however be worried if the engine smoked under steady state conditions, no matter what the cruising speed. That would definitely indicate the fuelling had been set too high for the available combustion air.

Cheers Spike

Back