Steering Wheel Cruise Control

timmus

A2OC Donor
Hello fellow A2 enthusiasts,

A few years ago, I had an idea, and yesterday I decided to make it a reality. What you see in the photos below is what appears to be a classic 4-spoke SE steering wheel. However, on the upper spokes are rocker switches with '+' and '-' symbols. These buttons were originally designed to control gear selection in Audis with an automatic gearbox, but I have repurposed them for cruise control.
Just like the indicator-stalk-based cruise control system that I've fitted in hundreds of A2s, the '-' button sets cruise control and the '+' button resumes cruise control. Once the car is driving on cruise, the function of the buttons changes; the speed of the car can be adjusted by rocking the buttons up or down.
Of course, it works on both sides of the steering wheel, so can be used with either the left or right hand. Cruise control is cancelled by simultaneously pressing '+' on one side of the wheel and '-' on the other, or by pressing the brake/clutch pedal.
I've included a photo of the steering wheel in the dark to show that the symbols also illuminate when the car's lights are switched on. Their brightness also varies in sync with the rest of the dashboard lights.

It's very intuitive to use and, in my opinion, looks great. If only I'd remembered to reset the date and time before taking the photos. :)

Cheers,

Tom

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

PS: My standard cruise control installation thread can be seen here and an overview of the A2 services that I provide can be seen here.

Last edited:
Yet another superb modification. Your ingenuity for the A2’s electronics are already of legendary status. Mods like this only add to and strengthen that reputation.
Could there be in the future, a multi function steering wheel that can control the radio volume station and SAT NAV functions etc as well as this cruise control?

An interesting one indeed :) Ingenious!

Here's another thought for you, could it also work having the DIS functions on the right hand button? Perhaps if you restrict the cruise cancel function to - on the left and + on the right, so you could use - on the right and + on the left for the DIS reset? Then you could upgrade both to be stalk-free. Along with the MFSW airbag, that would keep hands on wheel for as many functions as possible.

Cool and tempting though it looks, sadly not enough point for me in going down this route since I'm happy with the stalks in both of mine. But complete kudos to you for coming up with it ?

Yet another superb modification. Your ingenuity for the A2’s electronics are already of legendary status. Mods like this only add to and strengthen that reputation.
You're a magician Timmus
Ingenious!
Thank you, gentlemen. I try my best. :)

Could there be in the future, a multi function steering wheel that can control the radio volume station and SAT NAV functions etc as well as this cruise control?
Here's another thought for you, how about having the DIS functions on the right hand button? Might that work if you restrict the cruise cancel function to - on the left and + on the right, so you could use - on the right and + on the left for the DIS reset? Then you could upgrade both to be stalk-free. Along with the MFSW airbag, that would keep hands on wheel for as many functions as possible.
There is a limit to the amount of data that I can force through the slip ring of the A2's steering column. However, some of what's been suggested is possible, and may feature in future. :)

Cheers.

Tom

Tom,

This really is awesome. What a brilliant idea and concept that you have mastered ready to offer us all.

CC on the wheel is just fantastic. Maybe something Ill consider for 250 as OEM has the MFSW now........ Unless you can add it to the newer style wheels you offer. Completely understand the limitations of the slip ring though.

As has been said, ingenious!

Kind regards,

Tom

Hmm the house we want to buy is more expensive than planned, which means I may not be able to go down the modern steering wheel route and have indeed have to stick to the standard A2 MFSW upgrade after all.

Tom is this wheel taken from another Audi or can you retrofit the buttons to my wheel?

Hmm the house we want to buy is more expensive than planned, which means I may not be able to go down the modern steering wheel route and have indeed have to stick to the standard A2 MFSW upgrade after all.

Tom is this wheel taken from another Audi or can you retrofit the buttons to my wheel?
Hi David,

The classic A2 MFSW uses the 4-spoke SE steering wheel as its base. The airbag houses all of the buttons, meaning that a standard steering wheel can be upgraded to a MFSW by adding the required additional parts.
The steering wheel that you see in the photos at the top of this thread is of the same shape and design, but its a fundamentally different part, as it's got the spaces for the '+' and '-' buttons to either side of the airbag. A 4-spoke SE steering wheel cannot be upgraded to have these buttons; a replacement steering wheel, from another model of Audi, is required. I have a few of these in stock.

I hope I've managed to explain that clearly. :)

Cheers,

Tom

I still have the original leather SE steering wheel from your car David which is in very good condition if you wish to go down the OEM MFSW route. Its here for you FOC if you need it and you would then only need the airbag with control buttons to complete.

Hello fellow A2 enthusiasts,

A few years ago, I had an idea, and yesterday I decided to make it a reality. What you see in the photos below is what appears to be a classic 4-spoke SE steering wheel. However, on the upper spokes are rocker switches with '+' and '-' symbols. These buttons were originally designed to control gear selection in Audis with an automatic gearbox, but I have repurposed them for cruise control.
Just like the indicator-stalk-based cruise control system that I've fitted in hundreds of A2s, the '-' button sets cruise control and the '+' button resumes cruise control. Once the car is driving on cruise, the function of the buttons changes; the speed of the car can be adjusted by rocking the buttons up or down.
Of course, it works on both sides of the steering wheel, so can be used with either the left or right hand. Cruise control is cancelled by simultaneously pressing '+' on one side of the wheel and '-' on the other, or by pressing the brake/clutch pedal.
I've included a photo of the steering wheel in the dark to show that the symbols also illuminate when the car's lights are switched on. Their brightness also varies in sync with the rest of the dashboard lights.

It's very intuitive to use and, in my opinion, looks great. If only I'd remembered to reset the date and time before taking the photos. :)

Cheers,

Tom

View attachment 77677
View attachment 77678View attachment 77679
View attachment 77680

PS: My standard cruise control installation thread can be seen here and an overview of the A2 services that I provide can be seen here.
Genius. Want one, one day. ?

Back