Steering Wheel Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmundsT

Does anyone know the correct procedure for changing the four spoke airbag unit and steering wheel? I have some instructions from the TT forum but any help would be greatly appreciated.

disconnect the battery
remove the torx screws from behind
remove the airbag module - there's a cable attached
for removing the wheel itself:
remove the large screw
note the wheel position (there is a marking)
remove the old wheel, mount the new one
tighten the screw (dealers will replace this)
re-fit airbag module
tighten airbag screws (they're captive in the 4-spoke heated multifunktion i have lying around here at the moment)
turn the key to ignition
reconnect the battery
that's it.

translated, if you screw something up it's your own fault, trying to help, blah blah. Will be following these instructions myself shortly - when i've found a buyer ;)

Bret
* Airbag ranstecken und Stecker nicht vergessen!
* Airbag festschrauben
* Schlüssel im Zündschloss auf Zündung an stellen (soll Fehler im Airbagsteuergerät vermeiden)
* Batterie anklemmen
* fertig!!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
2002, Petrol 1.4, 17" 215/40 summer, 185/55R15 spiked winter, OpenSky, leather / alcantara in iceblue; added by me: cruise, LEDs in the doors and mirrors; Ambient lighting, Day-Driving lights, Fogs, Comet FF200s... coming soon: heated seats and MFwheel, TT Tacho and pointers, Xenon... and more. http://www.a2-freun.de/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=61

Hi
Many thanks, do you know what type of socket /tool I need to remove the bolt,the torque required when refiting, and why Audi replace it?

50Nm
Multitooth, probably Tx35/40 equiv, can't remember at the moment and mine are in the post ;)
why replace? because they're like that.
checked: M18 multitooth, replacement part cost €2, so probably £2.
partnumber N 907 991 01

Bret

2002, Petrol 1.4, 17" 215/40 summer, 185/55R15 spiked winter, OpenSky, leather / alcantara in iceblue; added by me: cruise, LEDs in the doors and mirrors; Ambient lighting, Day-Driving lights, Fogs, Comet FF200s... coming soon: heated seats and MFwheel, TT Tacho and pointers, Xenon... and more. http://www.a2-freun.de/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=61

Not sure about the airbag system but it would be wise to make sure the steering column lock is not on when slackening and re-torquing the centre nut. The lock could be damaged otherwise.

Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back