Sticky brake cable

Mike.M

A2OC Donor
Replaced my shoes yesterday but found the n/s brake cable not releasing after the handbrake is applied.
Tried some WD40 and pulling in and out to no avail. It releases when I wobble the cable just behind the drum.

Any ideas anyone? :confused:

Regards
Mike

You'll need to make a visual inspection under the drum to see what exactly is going on. If you need slack to release the drum - then you can release tension on the handbrake. It's under the plastic trim behind the handbrake. It's a 10mm nut. For normal operation, with both rear wheels of the ground you should be able to apply '2 clicks' to the handbrake and feel friction in the drums, but they shouldn't be fully engaged.

Ref the attached post, was the pivot on the linkage free - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?17737-Handbrake&p=135135#post135135

Cheers Spike

Hi spike,

Yes, the pivot on the linkage is free. I made sure of it having had problem with this arm ceasing up as described in earlier posts.
However, I now believe it is the brake cable not releasing which has caused the arm to cease-up. The drum rotates freely but when I apply the handbrake and release it, the drum will not turn but if I just move (wobble) the cable at the back of the back where it enters the break assembly, it again rotates freely.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I should have added that what I'm really looking for is some advise or tips on what is the best (easiest) way of replacing the cable. Can the new cable be pulled or fed through by attaching it to the new one?

Many thanks in advance
Mike

I just had new hand brake cables fitted, including the casing (I don't think you can buy the cable alone?). The parts were about £15 each (there are 2 cables, with the split near the front of the car, very close to the handbrake mechanism) and that was for an Audi part. I didn't fit them, but the mechanic said it was a simple job and charged 30 mins labour. My TDi is a 2002 model with 80k miles on it. The work was done as it failed the MOT for a non functioning handbrake - due to sticking / siezed cables. Sorry I don't have the part number.

David

sorry shouldhave added - my advice would be to buy the full cable with casing from the dealer. Fitting can't be too hard, and there is guide for adjusting the handbrake on this site somewhere, I think Spike posted it a while back.

David

I just had new hand brake cables fitted, including the casing (I don't think you can buy the cable alone?). The parts were about £15 each (there are 2 cables, with the split near the front of the car, very close to the handbrake mechanism) and that was for an Audi part. I didn't fit them, but the mechanic said it was a simple job and charged 30 mins labour. My TDi is a 2002 model with 80k miles on it. The work was done as it failed the MOT for a non functioning handbrake - due to sticking / siezed cables. Sorry I don't have the part number.

David

Thanks David,

My local Audi dealer quoted over £100 just to investigate :eek:.

Cheers
Mike
:)

"My local Audi dealer quoted over £100 just to investigate"

just buy the cables and get them fitted elsewhere!

Back