Strange ness with brake lights not working

Rich.

A2OC Donor
I was just checking the car over before travelling a couple of hundred of miles tomorrow and I notice that my two brake lights on either side are not working :(

The centre brake light on the boot is lite up on the left side half way across and it lights up when I brake but the rear brake lights do not. I have replaced the fuse and still the same.

Silly question time:

Have you checked the bulbs?

Are they inserted the right way?

Do the other lights (reverse, rear indicators etc) work?

Looking at the wiring, the left and right bulbs have the same feed from the brake switch as the LED light, so if that's working, the switch is ok, as is the fuse.

The only thing that it could be is a dodgy earth (common to each cluster, which is why I ask if the other bulbs work) or a blown or incorrectly inserted bulb.

Uncommon for both to go, but not impossible.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Just gonna pop out and get some bulbs. I have looked at them and couldn't see that the wire had broke..

The left bulb come out when I pulled the back of the holder. It's now stuck in the light cluster thing, I will try to get it out with a pair of tweezers tomorrow. My glow light has now stopped flashing, nearly a week and I hadn't noticed I had no back brake lights apart from the centre one working!

As a quick fix I'm using 5w 21 are these ok or will they melt the plastic.

Last edited:
sorry to bump this old thread but i have exactly the same problem in that the glow plug light is flashing and my LED light lights up about a 1/3 the way across then all when i press the pedal but neither left or right brake lights work.
have looked at the bulbs and they both look fine. ive broke one taking it out (the metal bit has come off the glass bit) so will replace tomorrow morning. so what else can it be? reverse lights etc work.
cheers

i would also like to add that i have had the brake light warning light in the middle of the speedo and rev counter on for quite while, but thought it was due to pads, so i have a set of discs/pads that i intend to fit this weekend, weather permitting.
cheers

OK, laugh, but help:bulb down emergency kit hole

I cannot be the first to drop a tail light bulb down the slot which
accommodates the emergency triangle (etc) kit ..

I'm not THAT bothered about the expense of getting another, but
the idea of it rattling around in some unknown compartment is decidedly
unappealing ... can anyone help with how to access the volume at the
bottom of this slot? (and before anyone suggests some two sided tape
on the bottom of a ruler ... well,been there, done that, and the bulb has
sidled unhelpfully off to one side and out of view)

Thanks in advance..

M

can anyone help with how to access the volume at the bottom of this slot?

I've never dropped a bulb there but over the years have had to fish for various nuts, bolts, screws, etc. on other cars.

Have you thought of trying a small magnet on the end of a bit of string? The metal cap on the bulb should just be plated steel. If you can't find a small toroidal magnet you could always superglue the magnet onto the string.

One of the advantages of the Ali body is that it won't just stick to the first panel it meets, and should fall down to the lowest level where the bulb presumably has fallen, then haul away!

Just a thought!

Try a Pen Magnet

I'm just a Gal, so I don't know much about cars. I am also looking for an answer regarding my rear brake lights not working on my 2006 Toyota Corolla. I spotted your post.

I have a long pen-like magnet that should server your purpose. It's long & silver and looks like a pen with a magnet at the end. I don't remember where I purchased it, but maybe try Walgreens. That should be long enough to reach! Hope this helps, if you you haven't already gotten all of it out.

Now, I'm still trying find why my lights are not working??? :confused:

RustyGal
:p

Back