Strange noise front of car

Coco

Hi all
Only driven car 5/6 times am really impressed with car but
was driving back from shopping today and am getting some strange noises from front what am should i be looking for?
any tips will be most welcome!!
there are no warning lights on just noise when starting off was thinking brake discs or pads!!
cheers
dave

noises

Hi there info is a bit vague.There is a lot of stuff that can make a noise at the front end.Need more info try and track down a side or a specific area.that would help:D

Hi Davidmac
went for long drive too see if i could define noise and guess what not making it now so not sure what that was about!!
Think it could have been the brakes/ discs because it was metalic noise but will take it too vag speciallist and get him to check front suspension just in case!
Cheers for taking the time too offer your advice
regards
dave

Hi

My car also makes a strange noise kind of like a grunting/moaning sound. I took it to Audi who said this is a common fault on A2's and is to do with some valve under the bonnet (vacuum something or other???) Apparently there isn't a cure and if anyone has any ideas of how to stop it I would appreciate it as sometimes it is so annoying I could kill!!!!!!

It hasn't happened to me for about three years or more, but yesterday whilst out on a test drive with my new wheels and tyres fitted, a stone got caught between the OSF brake disc and backing plate. This caused a horrendous scraping, scratching, graunching noise, but soon vanished when I gave the backing plate a bit of a tweak. Could it have been something like that?

Cheers,

Lee
Think i had two distinct noises the first on clutch take up which i think could be the valve noise but not bad enough to bother with!
The second was more metal on metal like you are describing and the stone fits as i was parking it on my front garden gravel covered !!!
parked it on roadside and had no repeat so think that was reason love those new wheels by the way:):)
cheers
dave

Hi the guru
Sounds like the egr valve problem. There is a partial fix which entails isolating the valve on rubber bobbins which reduce the vibration effect - see link for more info - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5783&highlight=mooing

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike

Took it to Bolton Audi and the guy there said the same thing. He said to remove it and attach it to whatever it is next to it on rubber grommets and wrap it in something rubber. Said it wouldn't cure it but may minimise the sound. To be honest I looked at this and then my toolkit and then put the bonnet back on!! No wonder they want £100 to do it at Audi!!! My spanners dont bend round corners!!!:D

Si :)

It hasn't happened to me for about three years or more, but yesterday whilst out on a test drive with my new wheels and tyres fitted, a stone got caught between the OSF brake disc and backing plate. This caused a horrendous scraping, scratching, graunching noise, but soon vanished when I gave the backing plate a bit of a tweak. Could it have been something like that?

Cheers,

hmmm interesting... a couple of times in the last 2 months (including on my way to work this morning) I have had the same awful crunching... pull over to see if i can see what it is, cant see anything, reverse to turn around and the noise magically stops...

This morning it happened just as I drove over a newly surfaced (with the loose stones) section of road... looks like this is my problem also!!

Back