Strange!

mgag.1

Right here goes todays test to all you Oracles of everything A2!

Just recently bought the wife’s “Alfie” A2 1.4 TDi and have noticed these weird things which I think maybe all related?

1. When you put the key in the ignition I hear a brief clicking sound?

2. When my wife put the little boy in his child seat(drivers side rear door) the other day she returned to the house & the alarm on the car went off due to it re-locking itself?

3. The interior light does NOT come on when you open the driver’s side rear door because the car does not seem to know the door has been opened but all the other doors do trigger the interior lights to go on!

4. When you open a door(except the faulty rear one) the DIS on the dash shows ONLY the drivers door as being open on the diagram even if it is NOT the drivers door which I presume is not normal as I thought the DIS would be specific for each individual door?

5. The rubber boots on the door looms are both loose on the two rear doors and I cannot seem to put them back on without removing the door cards first is this the case or can it be done without removing the door cards? ( see attached photos)

6. I have tried to remove the rear door cards to find the switch that lets the door know if it has been opened and have undone the three screws as per previous threads and pulled the door card but cannot seem to remove it even though I have given quite a forceful tug.(maybe the window winder is not helping?)

Phew I think that is it!

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts :confused:

Mark.

Sounds like an iffy door catch/switch. If i remember rightly this is built into the door catch, so maybe a new catch is needed. Ive had this problem on my Arosa before, the dealer fitted a new door catch and all was fine.

The clicking when you put the key in sounds like a different problem. Is it the door locks clicking? I also had this, something had broken inside the ignition barrel and made the lock press in as soon as i put the key in.

When you turn the ignition on and then turn it off, does the lock barel in the ignition stay pressed or come out before you have removed the key?

Sorry I didn't make it clear on the previous thread No.1
It sounds like all the doors doing a brief locking/clicking sound?

Right here goes todays test to all you Oracles of everything A2!

Just recently bought the wife’s “Alfie” A2 1.4 TDi and have noticed these weird things which I think maybe all related?

1. When you put the key in the ignition I hear a brief clicking sound?
1. This is likely due to the comfort unit, are you sure it's in the door or under the passenger footwell?

2. When my wife put the little boy in his child seat(drivers side rear door) the other day she returned to the house & the alarm on the car went off due to it re-locking itself?
Faults 2 and 3 maybe related as to door is not recongnised as open (maybe faulty lock switch or the like) hence why the car locked it self (when the 'open' is pressed on the remote, and the doors aren't opened within a set time period, the car assumes noone opened the car and relocks itself)

3. The interior light does NOT come on when you open the driver’s side rear door because the car does not seem to know the door has been opened but all the other doors do trigger the interior lights to go on!

4. When you open a door(except the faulty rear one) the DIS on the dash shows ONLY the drivers door as being open on the diagram even if it is NOT the drivers door which I presume is not normal as I thought the DIS would be specific for each individual door?
4. You have DIS but only FULL DIS will show you all doors opening individually, therefore this is not a fault.

5. The rubber boots on the door looms are both loose on the two rear doors and I cannot seem to put them back on without removing the door cards first is this the case or can it be done without removing the door cards? ( see attached photos)
5. If the boots are lose, then someone may have worked on these for whatever reason, and this maybe due to your point number 3

6. I have tried to remove the rear door cards to find the switch that lets the door know if it has been opened and have undone the three screws as per previous threads and pulled the door card but cannot seem to remove it even though I have given quite a forceful tug.(maybe the window winder is not helping?)
Have a look at link below as I have posted pictures on removing the door card, however I would think it IS neccessary to remove the window winder but as I have all 4 electric windows, I cannot have a look at this for you.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10200

Cheers

SARGE

Thanks Sarge.:)

Has anyone had any experience removing the door cards on a rear door with manual windows?

How do you remove the window winder thingy?

Thanks.

Mark.

JUst to add to Sarge 2/3 will be related mine did this on the drivers door and it does it from time to time on the rear (drivers side), it also did it on the boot/tailgate, the micro switch is faulty but its a complete catch you need they about £55+ ish and you do have to remove the door card to do it so you can do the boots at the same time, if you have anyone close to you with full vagcom they should be able to run a test should tell tou if it is the switch and not the wireing

Cheers Phil

Has anyone had any experience removing the door cards on a rear door with manual windows?

Thanks.

Mark.
If its the same as any other with manuals on the rear it should be a horse shoe clip around the shaft which you should be able to pop off with a flat blade screw driver ( cover it with one hand as they do tend to fly off)

Cheers Phil

PS number 5 try a bit of WD40 and start with the bit at the back so you finish off with the last part in front that you can see

Last edited:

Thanks.

Mark.

In the 'olden days' :eek: the winder was fixed either with a screw through the front, or a cir clip just behind the head, I assume they use one of these methods.

Cheers
SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
... when the winder is off, lose the three torx screws and away you go.
loose grommets mean someone's been playing, probably to add rear speakers.

Disconnect the battery and leave it for half an hour, then reconnect it, before you decide to take anything apart, as this seems to happen sporadically - the car forgets the number of doors and simply doesn't tell them to lock or unlock.

Bret

Last edited:
Hi mgag.1,

The symptoms you describe (1-4) are identical to the ones I had. A new door catch (incuding the switch) has fixed it completely. Essentially the car doesn't know the status of the door, so checks when you insert the key (click, click, lock, unlock) and then if the switch intermitently works the car will think someone has opened the door, and hence the alarm will sound. The part cost £50 and another £50 for fitting (~1hr labour). There will be some fault codes recorded, since it is a safety / security issue. The garage I go to was able to clear these codes and then check that the re-appeared on locking and unlocking (which they did) and that they didn't appear once the new part was fitted. If you search my recent posts you will find listing of the fault codes.

Good luck,

David

Back