Sudden loss of power 1.4Tdi

craigyb

A2OC Donor
Just leaving Halifax (and why not) today I was climbing up the dual carrigeway towards the M62, A large truck pulled out into my lane at very slow speeds so I dropped through the gears to get around it and suddenly I couldn't go anywhere, all the power was gone and I struggled in any gear to climb the hill.

I limped home and checked the engine fault codes, just one intermittent fault which I cleared and then after restarting the car everything was fine.

No engine management light on, so nothing obvious.

Now I'm stupid and I should have made a note of the fault, but I will keep an eye on things and post it up if it comes back.

I have read about MAFs, intercooler issues etc and no idea if any of these could be at fault.

Any ideas where to start?

Last edited:
So you were giving it the beans up hill - engine under full load, - sounds like it triggered overboost protection and put the car into limphome as it cleared when you re-started the engine.

It's either a loose/split boost control hose from the N75 valve to the wastegate and/ or manifold and/or ECU. Or, and perhaps more likely., its a bust intercooler, although that's easily cured with a new IC. Listen out for any Dyson/ Vacuum cleaner noises when you're on full boost.

However, just one other thing - do you have a 75 or a 90PS TDi? If it's the latter, it could also be sticky variable vanes on the turbo, which is a re-furb job.

Wasn't really giving it full beans as it was a 50mph dual carriageway with 3 speed cameras. So a steep hill, but nothing too harsh.

Ok - I still reckon that's what's happened as the hill would probably have been enough to provoke it as it would have loaded up demand on the turbo.

It's a 75BHP 1.4 Tdi, I did give it quite a full load on Saturday as I was carrying a PA system with speakers and amps, only a 60 mile round trip but it certainly seemed under powered whilst carrying the gear. When I unloaded and put my normal stuff in it was back to normal, but I'm thinking the strain has shown up the fault or "the straw that broke camels back"

But I've always thought that my A2 was hesitant, like it was always holding back and the fuel consumption wasn't brill either, around 400 a tank. I have the back seats removed and I carry some boxes of spares around. But they probably weigh about as much as the seats.

I need to start looking for broken seals and the like.

First place to start looking is down the back of the engine bay, directly behind the cambelt. There's loads of vacuum tubes there and there's also a couple of thin plastic tubes that slip inside the rubber tubes in this region. There's a few examples of 75PS TDi's where these plastic tubes have either split, or come adrift of their rubber counterpart.

Either way, this is enough to trigger limp mode.

Cheers,
MIke

just to clarify, aftercooler and intercooler are different words for the same component...

Cheers guys, I did do a good search and read of the loss of power threads before I posted, the alloy intercooler/aftercooler looks great. I'm hoping it's just a split hose or similar.

I've had a look in the engine bay as the loss of power is becoming a common theme now, twice this week it's happened. Certainly when the engine is cold.

I noticed that the bottom of the intercooler and engine floor tray seems to have a lot of oil around it and there is a pipe just to the left of the engine that doesn't seem to be fixed properly, the bracket seems loose. Can't see any splits or hear any strange wooshing/steam train noises like described previous threads. So maybe I need to get it on some ramps for a closer look.

Visible oil on the bottom of the intercooler does suggest a split cooler. When its a mild crack the rubber seal can hold it most if the time but it will only get worse.

Thanks Dan, I've had another forum search and seen a piccy which looks pretty much like mine. Lots of oil residue and I have the same symptoms, loss of power, drinking diesel, smokey when accelerating fast, high fuel consumption. The car has always seemed hesitant.

So I'm looking at a new intercooler, time to call in a few favours at Audi, I have done a few freebies recently for them, so hopefully they will help me out.

Just got a quote from Audim £366 + VAT fitted, seems reasonable as I'm there anyways billing them for £800 + VAT

Craig
Why dont you get them to check and replace the pipes mike was on about before you stump up for the intercooler?
My a4 had same symptoms and i thought too much pootling had coked up the turbo vanes , and although dusty when idid get into they all worked smoothly and after the clean no difference. I took it local vag independent and £300 later the problem. Audi wakefield cured it for A replacement pipe and cambelt change.
So it was a cracked pipe and these things d o happen more frequently i would suggest than a cracked intrcooler
Paul

There is always a little oil coming out if either the hose or the inter cooler has gone. Might still be just a hose (more likely to be a hose as they perish with age)
J

Posted from my iPlop...

Well I will be there during the work as I'm doing my cluster and cruise at the same time, so I will get to see what is the problem and if it's not the intercooler I won't be charged for it.

Well I will be there during the work as I'm doing my cluster and cruise at the same time

Hi Craig
Could you ask the Audi guys for a typical retail price for fitting the new instrument cluster (labour only). I'm sure a few club members will be interested to know

Cheers Spike

Intercooler replaced today, oil all over the lower engine bay. So deffo the seal gone, you could clearly see it.

So replaced and serviced, a few faults found, broken bracket for a pipe, bush for ARB loose, fan belt worn, I will get all these done in the new year.

Car drives so much better, no hesitation and smooth drive.

Back