Surplus Steering Wheel - What to do?

Shoestring7

Good morning all,

I'm currently A2-less (the first time for years!) but the BMW i3S is doing a grand job as my daily. If only Audi had continued development of the A2 I'd be the proud owner of a 2023 Audi A2 BEV with all mod-cons and a 250 mile range! Mind you, BMW have stopped i3 production in favour of 2.5 tonne steel bodies SUVs - so I guess I'm just a sucker for motoring lost causes!

There are still a couple of bits left over, including a leather SE steering wheel with airbag in decent condition:
IMG_1828.jpeg

I don't know if it has any value, and I'm happy to let it go to a good home FoC if there are any locals interested. However I don't know about the practicalities of posting a 'live' air bag, so I thought I'd ask before putting a notice on the 'For Sale' section. I don't want the bomb squad involved if at all possible.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Charlie

People do post wheels with airbags, but TBH I wouldn't for exactly the same reasons as you. The Post Office and courier companies' terms of carriage are quite specific on them not being accepted and the parcel being destroyed if detected.

The wheel without the airbag though, absolutely no problem. It's exactly the same airbag as on the plastic wheel from the base model, so just the wheel on its own might make an upgrade for someone.

Presumably the guys at my local council tip won't be too happy picking up an airbag - how would you suggest I dispose of it should it me unwanted?

No idea really, I would just advertise the whole thing as pick up someone will take it, its in good condition, lots of people would upgrade to leather

Presumably the guys at my local council tip won't be too happy picking up an airbag - how would you suggest I dispose of it should it me unwanted?
Yes they do get very sniffy about airbags. Quite rightly so as they are actually a tiny bomb when you think about. As a result I have a shelf full of airbags.

I have bought a few steering wheels with airbags posted no problems but I do understand the cause for concern!

Mine have a “hard no” objection to taking car parts

Last edited:
Back