Swapping DIS Cluster to standard and vice versa

PaulA2

I am after a little advice please if possible from those that have done this in the past.

I have an opportunity to swap clusters in 2 audi A2 tdis in order to gain DIS in my car and keep the donor car complete. I appreciate that it will entail some wiring which has been covered but I would want o adjust the mileages correctly so as to ensure a true reflection on the cars mileage. To try and assure people this is not a sinister act the main effort is to add mileage to the cluster that will be installed in my 90 as I catagorically do not want to milsead anyone should I ever sell. Absolute worst case I would fully document the change to reflect mileage discrepanicies but to some this is not ideal.

I have new chips for the immobiliser coding, access to VAG Commander and VCDS, do I need more?

I fully understand that a how to cant be published at the risk it highlights an opportunity for bad practice elsewhere so of course more than happy to speak to anyone direct or via PM.

Many thanks in advance for any direction.

Check out the Ross tech site. They gave a step by step set of instructions I believe.

Steve B

I have thought about that but respect that it is a secondary business for him and feel it is a tad cheeky to directly ask.

It's very late and I've just got home from work, but I've spotted this and just thought I'd say I'm happy to help. But only once I've had some sleep! :)

Night night,

Tom

Right then, I've had some sleep. Not enough, but enough to do as promised... :)

First of all, I'm going to assume that we're talking about swapping the instrument cluster with its core DIS functions and that the added features like bulb monitoring are not desired.

Paul, I know your project car is a TDI90. It will therefore have the later 42-litre fuel tank. What model year is the donor vehicle, please? If you could post its VIN, that would be helpful. In order to do a swap, the fuel tank level sensor calibration must be the same.

Assuming the clusters are compatible with both vehicles, the DIS cluster and stalk can be fitted to the TDI90. A custom wiring loom will be needed. Note that the one available on German eBay requires some modification unless washer bottle monitoring and bulb monitoring are also to be fitted. I can supply a custom DIS wiring loom that's nicer than the one available on eBay, though I'm aware that you (Paul) are also quite capable where such things are concerned.

Virgin immobiliser chips are not necessary. Once the DIS cluster is happily married to your existing engine management unit, your existing keys can be matched with their existing chips.

Unless you're going to do a full-scale transplant, the bulb monitoring system will be left floating in the donor vehicle. That's not going to cause any problems, though it is perhaps a little inelegant.
The donor will receive a non-DIS cluster in return. The additional 32-pin grey connector that used to be attached to the back of the DIS cluster can also be left floating. However, the stereo head unit will be severed from the CAN network as a result of the DIS cluster no longer being present. As such, another custom wiring loom will be needed to get it working properly again.

As you rightly acknowledge, the sort of thing you're proposing is a controversial practice. For what it's worth, here's my stance...
Bose was not standard on any A2; it was always a paid-for optional extra, no matter what the trim level. The same is true for rear electric windows, auto-dimming mirrors, MFSW, etc. If you remove such an option from one car and transplant it into another, I have no issue with that as long as it's done properly, with sympathy for the car that is donating its toys and with consideration for the eventual new owner of that car. Of course, it's always best to get optional extras from written-off vehicles, but I appreciate that's not always possible.
DIS, however, was standard on Sport models. The market knows that A2s registered as Sport models will have DIS. If you remove DIS from a Sport, you're depriving that car of an option that defines it. SE models always have front fogs and the false floor. Sport models always have DIS and Sport seats. I think removing defining features is b&stardisation.

Back on topic...

I can't help but feel that the easier route here is to simply buy a DIS cluster. I know they're thought of as being rare as hen's teeth, but I can supply a DIS cluster for any TDI at a very reasonable price. That will save all manner of hassle where the donor vehicle is concerned and means it can be sold on with its spec intact. There'll be no additional looms needed to solve the stereo issue and no wires, connectors or control units will be left redundant and floating, ready to confuse someone somewhere down the line.

No matter which route you choose to take, I'm happy to provide help/assistance/parts without judgement. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
A very comprehensive and very clear and helpful response.

I I think that somewhere along the lines you and Matt must have emerged from the same gene pool!

it is posts like those that really add a huge amount to this forum.

Cheers
Steve B

Thanks Steve, I try my best. :)

Matt and I do both enjoy a bit of electrical tinkering, it's true. Matt's tertiary education is purely in electrical stuff whereas mine is in broad physics, so I've every expectation that his skills in these matters will surpass mine.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom

First and foremost, huge thanks for the detailed response. The donor car is a 03 TDI so it has the larger tank so should be compatible with my 90.

The donor car is mine too that has been in my ownership for almost a year during which time I have been unable to sort a power steering issue and since securing the 90 I have no further need for the 75 TDI sport. Sadly it was a basic spec with no AC, manual rear windows etc and the stereo was missing when purchased with the antenna module in the boot useless due to water ingress. Anyhow I want to sell the car on as a project to the right person and as the sale value is going to be quite low my thoughts were that the removal of DIS would not be a major concern BUT I very much value the opinion of fellow enthusiasts.

I would consider sourcing a DIS setup off you, I should be ok with the looms as I have a donor loom from a salvage car that had DIS (albeit petrol) so I think I also have the stalk. I would install washer warning as will be retrofitting light washers and have the washer bottle too. Not too concerned about the bulb monitoring as I check regulalry any way! Out of interest could you adjust the mileage on a unit to my car? Its a shame you are so far away as it would be a genuine pleasure to exchange notes on these installs!

I am also stupidly busy at work and currently working in Pembrokeshire but live south of Bath so time is very limited at home! I am also here to help anyone that needs any assistance with retrofits and updates as collectively we can all make some amazing cars which will in my mind protect a definite modern day classic and I love driving an 11 year old car that easily passes as a much newer model. I only wish I was aging as gracefully!

Thanks Tom, you are a true gent.

The donor car is a 03 TDI so it has the larger tank so should be compatible with my 90.

Excellent, that will be compatible. :)

I would install washer warning as will be retrofitting light washers and have the washer bottle too. Not too concerned about the bulb monitoring as I check regulalry any way!

Ditto. I'm not at all fussed about bulb monitoring.

Out of interest could you adjust the mileage on a unit to my car? Its a shame you are so far away as it would be a genuine pleasure to exchange notes on these installs!

Yes, I'd be happy to do so. But it's not me who lives so far away, it's you! :p

I love driving an 11 year old car that easily passes as a much newer model. I only wish I was aging as gracefully!

Absolutely! I rolled up outside the recording studio where I was working only last week and had loads of people tell me how nice my car was (it was clean for once!). I take great delight in telling people it's 14 years old.

Thanks Tom, you are a true gent.

You're quite welcome. Same to you, Paul. :)

Last edited:
Back