Switch replacment

Jayc530

Does anyone know if the switches on the CD player and/or the climate control panel can be individually be replaced as mine have become a little worn? If so, is it easy to get hold of them and replace them?

No! You cant get the buttons single. only the complete Radio or Klimate control panel. Sorry.
This is a problem with all cars Modellyear 2002 or newer

erstens said:
No! You cant get the buttons single. only the complete Radio or Klimate control panel. Sorry.
This is a problem with all cars Modellyear 2002 or newer

Yep......thats correct and as you will all find out unless you are very careful the rubberised finish is absolute pants.

VW/Audi know about it and if in warranty I believe you can 'argue' for a replacement.

Can the buttons be removed without breaking the klimate control panel?

If the buttons can be removed, then it is possbile to remove all the paint from the button and then repaint it with a color that resists wear better.

The individual buttons cannot be removed from the climate control unit, but the front panel can be removed and replaced.

There isn't a separate replacement part (you'd have to buy a full climate unit) but it saves re-coding the unit, which you may have to do if you replace the entire unit.

Cheers,

Mike

skriptonb is right, you can remove the front panel. I have one as a spare part but it ist the old (more black) version.
But you can remove the buttons from the radio pannel. I did that. Maybe it is possible the same way to remove single buttons from the climate control.
I know one person, who did that (he said he did and it is possible, but I didn't had a closer look to that).

Er you can remove the large + & - buttons from the air con unit as I have done it with mine to replace some worn buttons with some better ones from a A4.
You will need the following items:-
A finger
A fine edged blade or small flat screwdriver(jewellers type)

Press down on the top face of the button then with your blade ,work it under the botton edge of the button and gently lever it out.
It should not take much effort and the button will ping off.

You will see that the switch is quite a basic rocker one that just clips onto a central pivot.

herusix said:
Er you can remove the large + & - buttons from the air con unit as I have done it with mine to replace some worn buttons with some better ones from a A4.
You will need the following items:-
A finger
A fine edged blade or small flat screwdriver(jewellers type)

Press down on the top face of the button then with your blade ,work it under the botton edge of the button and gently lever it out.
It should not take much effort and the button will ping off.

You will see that the switch is quite a basic rocker one that just clips onto a central pivot.

Good too hear that the A4 buttons fit, I just found an old A4 -2000 control unit for sale at a reasonable price. I will buy it tomorrow and swap the buttons.

Mr Smurf said:
Good too hear that the A4 buttons fit, I just found an old A4 -2000 control unit for sale at a reasonable price. I will buy it tomorrow and swap the buttons.
If it's a 2000 year unit, the chances are that the finish is not of the 'soft' type, but the slightly glossy, blacker type.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi peeps just stumbled across this paint that will cover slight blemishes on the interior paint work (soul black). My electric window switches were slightly rubbed on the edges but by applying the paint it looks good as, also it has the rubber-like feel to it too (bonus). The paint is called Humbrol Enamel Matt code number 33. Nice! :D Cost = one pound only.

Back