Symphony II able to take USB in ?

Dal

A2OC Donor
I've looked through the entertainment sub-forum but can't find an answer..

From what I've read, the aftermarket boxes that allow you to connect a USB to the stereo require that they connect to the CD Changer input behind the stereo as is the norm.

I had my radio out last night and couldn't make out if it was able to have a CD Changer connected to it as the label didn't mention it. I've also seen a couple of diagrams on sale pages for the USB boxes showing the layout that is compatible and the layout that is not. Mine doesn't look like either of them!

CD-changer-AUX-iPod-compatible.jpg

http://www.incarconnections.co.uk/a...3-a4-a6-a8-and-tt-ctavagusb003-ctavagusb.html

Some also state: "Some newer models that have an internal CD changer do not support the connection of an external CD changer."

Does anyone know for sure if any of the USB boxes will fit and work with the Symphony II stereo?

My connections and label:

19481645592_bc5617a29a_c.jpg

18865528594_1e37948113_c.jpg

19301902079_1d0267ea9e_c.jpg

My stereo:
symphonyII.jpg

Help!

Last edited:
Hi Dal,

In short, the answer is yes. It is possible to have a USB connection able to input music and then play through the speakers.

The diagram of the connections that you have posted are known as the 'Quadlock' type, and are not fitted to the A2. Instead, the A2 uses a 'Mini ISO' connection. It's typically possible to get most USB etc devices with either connection. In your third photograph, the connections for the external USB device or external CD changer are marked as 'CD', in the bottom left of the picture. This is where the new device will connect.

It is possible for the Symphony to use an external source despite the internal changer. If you search the forum, you will see that several members are running iPod kits etc through the Symphony unit. The unit in your link will work; as mentioned above, the A2 uses mini ISO connections which are the blue, green and yellow plugs seen in the link photograph. I have used a Connects2 device in the past, and it was pretty good.

Hope this helps. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Reactions: Dal
Matt,

Many thanks for the explanation - it all makes sense now.

And now I feel like a proper plonker as only after you said "In your third photograph, the connections for the external USB device or external CD changer are marked as 'CD', in the bottom left of the picture" I actually see / notice that it's labelled CD! I'm an idiot.

Again, many thanks!

No worries, Dal. :)

The diagram is slightly confusing. At no point on the pin labels does it mention anything even related to 'CD', merely the little tag below the connector.

Let us know if we can help any more! :)

Matt.

Possibly a silly question as I haven't yet taken my Symphony out of the dash - I'm also about to fit an iPod adapter using an 8-pin Mini-ISO connector plugged into the CD changer input, as above.

Will those 8 pins for the CD changer input be open and ready to stick the plug on, or are they covered by a solid 20-pin ISO connector (as suggested here: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/AA3-HAR.html )?

Possibly a silly question as I haven't yet taken my Symphony out of the dash - I'm also about to fit an iPod adapter using an 8-pin Mini-ISO connector plugged into the CD changer input, as above.

Will those 8 pins for the CD changer input be open and ready to stick the plug on, or are they covered by a solid 20-pin ISO connector (as suggested here: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/AA3-HAR.html )?

Hi,

the car will have a single connector taking up all the space on the 20 pin port. The easiest way to connect your iPod adaptor would be using the a plug adaptor cable such as the one linked.

If you have a pin removal tool and the pins in the plug on the iPod cable are compatible with the Audi connector on the car you could unlock the connector and insert the pins straight into the car's connector and so do away with the extra cable. This would be more complex but would provide a neater solution.

I have had trouble fitting adaptor cables like the one listed as the space behind the head unit is limited and I have found I have had to arrange the cables with one hand whilst inserting the head unit with the other to allow it to push fully back. I haven't tried with a double din before so there may be more space but its probably worth inserting the head unit with the climate panel removed so you can clear any obstructions by accessing the cables through the gap left.

regards

Andrew

Back