Symphony

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ex New Beetle

CAn you fit an audi symphony head unit into the A2? By moving the climate control section to the spare space below its standard slot?

Often thought about this, but I guess Johann would be best to advise on the following question I had....

The bottom of the console seems to be rounded. Both the bottom edge of the CD and the ECC unit appear to have square edges, but the crappy storage slot they put in fits into this roundedness.

Hence, is it a different console perhaps?

Johann (or anyone else with Symphony), do you follow me and is yours rounded or square?

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

You need a different surround to the climatronic yes... the bits were the seat heaters would sit (next to the normal climatronic buttons) slightly tapers in yes... But you should be able to move the climatronic bit down, but with a new surround...

jj3.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/180225.jpg[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

I have asked and asked at the local dealership and after a great deal of effort the COST put me off.
Note AUDI PRICES
Head unit £800
ECC unit £300
Brackets etc £55

But they won't do it as it has a different wiring (higher voltage ?) and won't warrent it.

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey,
50% Brighter Bulbs : Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me) : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk18.htm

Hi shezlee

Has your car got Climate already?

I have an A2 with Chorus Radio/Cassette and Climate in the "usual" position...BUT...tomorrow I pickup an Audi Symphony head unit at a very good price, so - in theory - all I need is the new facia for mounting the Climate lower in the console + brackets???
I doubt if the wiring is different for the Symphony as audio units all use standard connectors and are interchangable electrically, its the physical placement of the double din thats the "problem".

Cheers

Ricardo

Yes it has Climate, but the problem was Audi wouldn't just replace the facia for it and insisted i bought a whole new unit...., as for the wiring I understand the different voltage bit but was still shocked as I throught the same as you, But I wanted Audi to warrent the change (I had only got the A2 a few weeks before) anyway I put the CD changer in the boot and they will warrent it for 12months. somthing to do with it being an addition to a system and not a change???

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System

Hmmm any body want a Symphony II from a written off 2002 A6 - warrentied for 3 months :) ... It wont fit in an A2 (well not unless you are a butcher by trade) :)

Ricardo

It should depend on what age your A2 is. If it has the later (2002 MY on?) CANbus wiring then the Symphony II should fit.

The earlier non-CANbus cars should take a Symphony I - probably not available new any more.

However you should get your local Audi dealer parts department to confirm that the part number of your salvaged Symphony II is the same as one fitted to an A2 of your era. Sometimes they have mods applied for different models.

When was your A2 built ?

Dave

1.6SE

Its a 2002 November A2, but the 2002 A6 Symphony II has a different front panel which I thought was just a facia, but the front panel contains all the switch gear and LCD panel. Then I thought that the side sections just made the face wider but the button layout is more "dense" on the A2's Symphony. Bascially the A2 Symphony switch panel is more compressed. Assuming the switch panel is available as a seperate item (which i doubt) there is then the problem of relocating the AirCon with ... another unobtainable face panel! You see my dilemma ... not a problem really, the Symphony was VERY cheap...and I realised it was a risk! Looks like it sounds nice though :) May use it as a player for my PC or something...Just need 12v and speakers afterall...

Ricardo

Feel for you dude - dont you just hate it when motor manufacturers dont make the 'same' things the same, they have to fiddle and change everything slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back