T-Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harps

My car was stoned last night by a bunch of yobs (well almost too young to be yobs - they looked about 10-12 years old and there were about a dozen of them). Anyway, I made the mistake of patiently letting them cross the road whilst they were ignoring traffic - without using my horn, flashing my lights, gesturing in any way. This was rewarded by them surrounding my car and throwing gravel at it.

Anyway, once they'd finished shouting abuse and then running off when I and several other drivers got out, this has left me with a black A2 - with dozens of minor scratches, etc. The question I know have is whether I can use T-Cut on these abrasions to restore the paint colour? Is this ok to use on an aluminium/plastic car?

(The experience has also left me slightly unnerved - the incident happened at 8pm on a busy road in a fairly affluent part of the town where I live. It seems they were likely to be middle class yobs - which just makes it worse as there should be no excuse!)

It's these kind of things that make me a strong supporter of the death penalty *grin*

Harps

I feel for you-I'm becoming more agitated by the morals of some people today-not only the young but the middle-age and older. My local area isn't as bad as some, but a minority of kids don't appear to know what's right or wrong-playing ball against a new house opposite mine, playing cricket on my drive when I'm at work-and apparently throwing stones at my car (so my neighbour told me).

I see 5 year olds playing out at 8pm last night in the dark-just running about and maybe setting off a car alarm-but what will they be like in 5 years time?. I've bitten my tongue on a number occasions and not shouted at them, in fear that I will find all my plants pulled up in the front garden etc. But I have said things in the past, and when you ask them why they do it, it's a "dunno" answer. Arghhhhhhh. The parent appear respectable, and when they are at home the kids are generally ok, but as soon as the parents go out they go mad.

Something needs to be done, but I'm not sure what yet. I've thought about setting up a neighbourhood watch scheme to see if I can get the locals interested in their community. I'm lucky in that my immediate neighbours do take an interest in each others property, but I doubt the rest of the estate does. Something needs to be done though as the more they get away with it, the worse it gets.

Anyway Harps, back to your question. I've used Mer with some success in the past at removing scratches-especially around the door handle/keyhole area where keys and rings scratch the paintwork. I think it is probably less abrasive than T-Cut, and it does leave a good protective barrier behind.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Agreed, T-Cut is a bit too abrasive.

Re the kids, I despair these days I REALLY do. I have a toddler and I worry how I'm going to stop him doing it when he's older, I guess we 'give a sh*t' so he will have a good start, but like you say, when we're away....

IF YOU CAN GET YOUR FINGER NAIL INTO THE SCRATCH THEN GENERALLY IT IS TOO DEEP TO POLISH OUT. If they are surface scratches in the laquer coat Autoglym Resin applied vigourously (but not too vigourously) will do it. Luckily Audi paint laquer is quite thick so you may have some success. Don't polish in circles. Linear polishing with the line of the scratch.
As the car was damaged anyway I think I should have just run the b*****ds down personally. [}:)] [:0] :D

icon_smile_cool.gif

Afraid I agree with maersk-fight fire with fire.

Tyre marks wash out of jeans with Vanish anyway....

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Bad luck indeed. I had a key run down the side of my A6, so I know how you feel.

As maersk says, if you can get your thumb nai linto the scratch, then it probably won't polish out. You'll find the Chips Away use the same test - they couldn't repair my A6, so I had it resprayed down one side.
If you do have to go that route, ask for two quotes - one for an insurance claim, the other if you pay for the repair.
On my A6, the insurance claim quote was around £600, whereas the pay- it-yourself quote was £250. As my excess was £200 and I didn't have protected no claims, I went the self pay route!

MartinW - Dolphin Grey 1.4SE

Harps

Sickening - unfortunately all too common. Just last week four drunken neanderthals walked accross a busy dual carriageway forcing me to brake and stop. Like you, I didn't flash or use the horn or shout or anything. I was lucky - they just swore abuse and spat on the A6 and moved on but it could have got nasty.

I was glad of the "emergency" button like you get on the A2 where you can immediately lock the doors.

On your question like Maersk I would try Autoglym resin polish first. I am sure that will make an improvement as it does remove small scratches. Then reassess the position.

Also for the future get no claims protection if you haven't already. It is well worth it.

Hope the resin treatment works. All the best.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back