Tab on shock locator??

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
Hi

In middle of popping new b4 bikstein shocks back in my tdi.

Does this tab need removing first? Seems to be in the way!
17136055305085738998019156678380.jpg

The little right angle at the bottom of the locator fin (that slides into the gap on the hub) is that meant to be there for a2 as it therefore needs to slide downinto the hub split horizontally?

Worried its gonna jam the shock in the hub.

Why not try to fit it as it is first? I cant remember ever having to grind that off..?

Looks like it has to come off then, thought it was odd must be a multifitment thingy
From the Mk1 Forum, there seems no obvious logic to it. People are not happy taking a grinder to brand new shocks, understandable.
But, don't grind it off on my say so, I really don't know about the A2 application.
Mac.

That tab is normal and if you have the gap in the carrier wide enough (you can get separator tools on cheapy sites) then it should slide through fine. It is very common because if the bolt were to come loose on the road the tab should prevent the shock jumping out causing a major loss of vehicle control
Mick

Even with the spreader in place I couldn't get this down in and also it started to bend up. So i ground it off, too late, gone!

I think you'd have to take air in a jump for the hub to slide out. Even then the arb stops the driveshaft dropping too long to get the shock out.

Shoukd be fine 🙂

Even with the spreader in place I couldn't get this down in and also it started to bend up. So i ground it off, too late, gone!

I think you'd have to take air in a jump for the hub to slide out. Even then the arb stops the driveshaft dropping too long to get the shock out.

Shoukd be fine 🙂
You might have had the spreader wrongly placed.

You might have had the spreader wrongly placed.
I tried two spreader tools in every possible place. Was impossible on a driveway. Never heard anyone else mention this tab before so likely i got it wrong. Hey ho I don't think it's going to be lethal.

Replaced mine few weeks bk, same tab present on new and old, not used any spreaders just knocked out and new went in easy enough

Replaced mine few weeks bk, same tab present on new and old, not used any spreaders just knocked out and new went in easy enough
Ah this makes me think I couldn't have lined the tab up right then. Hiw did you get the shock back in the hub without a spreader?

Ah this makes me think I couldn't have lined the tab up right then. Hiw did you get the shock back in the hub without a spreader?
Yeah, used small hydraulic jack to pull it out from hub and new went in easy, think this tab locks in place so it doesn't go to deep

Back