Tailgate release - can't open!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Has anyone had a problem with the tailgate release? The first and only problem with my A2 in 46k miles (apart from a blown bulb) is that the tailgate won't open every time. The solenoid (or whatever it is) is functioning, as you can hear/feel it working, but obviously the catch is jamming as the tailgate stays resolutely shut on many occasions.

The local dealer says that they can look at it in 2 weeks time - thanks guys!

Any tips on a fix for this?

Paul
1.4TDi, leather, Open Sky, BOSE, 6 CD, alu trim, cruise, DIS, etc. etc.

It seems par for the course that it takes an Audi dealer 2 weeks to inspect a car, and then 10 to 1 they don’t have the part which then needs ordering, with the end result being the necessity to book it in again in another 10 days time. This making about 4 weeks for any problem to be fixed.

Why oh why cannot dealers take a quick look at a car/complaint, when it’s hardly impossible that the problem could not be rectified within 5 minutes. Us owners are often regarded as making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I contend that in truth it is the dealers that do this.

The problem with the boot lock is extremely rare from my recollection, but that of course is no consolation to any owner suffering countless weeks of inconvenience.

Regards
John Disdale

Have you tried openning it with the key, or from inside the car using the key and the latch thing in the back (behind the rear seats) also make sure you have not got the internal central locking switched on because the tailgate will not open at all if it is on.

Factor - I have tried the emergency release which is on the inside of the rear window, under a small plastic hatch. This seems to be a mechanical release - you are supposed to pull up on a lead. This doesn't work.

There is no key slot on the tailgate as far as I can tell.

The central locking is open when I am trying all this. I have had the car for 18 months and am not doing anything other than normal to open the tailgate.

John - you are absolutely right. The Audi dealer should respond better than this. He obviously didn't know that I am currently comparing an Audi A4 Avant or Allroad with a Merc E class, and unhelpful service won't assist their case.

Paul
1.4TDi, leather, Open Sky, BOSE, 6 CD, alu trim, cruise, DIS, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back