Tanks New Hip!

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, after weeks of waiting, Tank has finally had his clutch and flywheel replaced today, by MDR Autos just a stones throw from Skipton Autos.

Mark and Jay double teamed the work and had it all done by the time I returned, hoping to be able to lend a hand myself!!

The clutch pedal is now incredibly smooth and light and take up is progressive too (I expect bite to improve when the fresh plate has bedded in).

The replacement kit was as per OE - made by LuK (which is who makes the Audi part - I've got the old flywheel here and it's stamped up LuK) and less than 50% of the cost of the Audi part!!

Including labour, the total came in at a very reasonable £620, which is £200 less than just the parts alone would have cost from Audi - incredible.

So, hopefully I can travel distances in comfort and peace of mind now, although I still need to get to the bottom of a front suspension issue (think it might be strut top bearings).

The old flywheel had around 30mm play in it, which is around 25mm more than permissable.

I've been told that there's a company who can rebuild flywheels with components that will take the extra torque into account, so I'll drop the old one off with Awesome and take it from there - it'd be useful to have it ready for when this new kit fails again!!

Cheers,

Mike

Mike
What would cause that much play in the flywheel, and what were the symptons you had.

Thanks
Alan

The play is caused by the springs and dampers inside the flywheel breaking down and compressing - due to more torque being applied than they were designed for.

The symptoms start off as a vibration/rocking felt in the whole car, which will go away when you press the clutch.

This will progress to snatch in the transmission, massively increased vibration and increased stiffness of the pedal.

My left knee will not know what's happened on the commute into Corrie tomorrow - which will be nice!!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

Did you draw a blank on converting from dual mass to a solid flywheel ?

Cheers Spike

That sounds like a good result mike. At least you will not be walking around the set oddly tom with a dicky left knee lol

David

Hi Mike,
I tried a few clutch places that supply clurches and DMF's and some of them were struggling to get the DMF part even though they were dealers.
do you have the LUK part numbers,might even be worth tucking one by.
thanks
Roy

Last edited:
Spike - I had some long conversations with a very helpful chap at Luk, who went through their entire catalogue and couldn't find a suitable alternative.

The nearest we could come up with was the AUM-engined TT kit, rated fine for torque, but it would sit 5mm away from the starter pinion, so would probably get stripped in short order.

He reckoned that as opposed to it being a close run thing that the TDi90 was equipped with a solid f/w, it is more likely that the 75PS almost had a DMF - the 3-pot engine will put out more spikes of torque for one reason.

So, he reckoned that with my sort of power/torque figures, it'd be likely that I'd destroy the transmission within 40,000 miles or so, as opposed to just ruining a clutch kit!

I've gone into this replacement knowing that the dmf will fail again, but I hope to have a custom damped dmf ready to install when that happens.

Chubby - the Luk part number for the A2 TDi90 is 417.0047.10 (this is for the DMF, the pressure plate and the friction plate). You'll also need a new release bearing, guide sleeve (this wears badly and is what causes a stiff clutch), operating lever and spring.

I was lucky in getting a bearing from Ebay for £6 (Audi price £56), but the other bits are cheap enough.

I wish I'd have been in time to take some piccys, but alas, it wasn't to be!

Cheers,

Mike

Back