Tappets & Cam belt

Ben7

Hi everyone - some advice please.

Just been to see a 2001 1.4SE (at least i think its the SE...it had climate and alloys).Bodywork was OK,scuffing on the rear wheel arches but only part service history.Audi up until 50k and then routine servicing done by the owner.However,it needs the cambelt doing immediately and i could hear the tappets rattling away.How much should i factor in and does anyone know any decent independants in the West Midlands.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Ben, welcome to the A2oc
A cambelt change, with new pulleys and water pump will cost around £350 from an independent. The tappets are hydraulic so there is no adjustment. Its rare for them to go wrong but I'd take a wild guess at £200+ to replace them all when done at the same time as the cambelt.
If its not too far from you, Stealth Racing come highly recommended - http://www.stealthracing.co.uk/
For most other things A2 - from diagnostic scans to cruise control fitting I'd recommend fellow A2oc member Skipton 01 who lives in Mossley

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike...

The one I was looking at has sold but still on the lookout.I might go for the 1.4 diesel as opposed to the petrol...a much better engine from the feedback on here.

Back