TDI 90 glow plugs

acolwill

Since my recent foray into the TDI90 club due to the misfortune of my previous A2 iteration, my dearest other half has also jumped into the deep end and has also gotten herself a TDI90.

Since it had only just had a service and MOT, and it also being about 10:30 - 11pm when we actually got to see the car and take it out for a ride near Stonehenge, we blindly took the chaps word that it was in PWO.

Sure enough it's been a dream, however, I took her lid off today to have a quick poke around and have found her engine cover is missing. No biggie, will have to go around a few breakers yards to see if I can source one for her.
Everything else looks like it's where it should be, and can't see any visible leak lines/drips/drops of oil or fluid... except around the glow plugs.

Having only just had the lid off my baby, I know that her plugs are dry. However, the VAG-SCAN Sarge kindly did for us brought up plug errors on my A2

Code:
2 Faults Found:
17055 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit (Q10): Electrical Fault 
            P0671 - 35-00 -  - 
17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12): Electrical Fault 
            P0673 - 35-00 -  -

I know what I have to do to check the continuity, I just don't have to tools to do it! That's another topic tho.

So, the question is. Are the glow plugs supposed to be bone dry, or have some small amount of oil around them (I'm assuming dry, same as petrol engines)?
And if my assumption is correct... what can be done to correct it?

Thanks,
Aaron.

The glow plugs should be dry. Its possible oil is weeping down the front of the engine from the rocker cover gasket

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike.

From recollection, the oil is coming from around the plugs themselves. I'll have to have another look this evening when the other half comes over with the offending engine.

If it is leaking from the rocker cover gasket, what could be done to fix this?

Just an update.

I had a search about glowplugs on the forum and noticed there's two lengths to the glowplugs (other than the differing voltages). I didn't get a chance to look under the missus' lid this evening (will do tomorrow), however, I do vaguely recall my plugs being recessed further than hers.

As her new baby had a "long" service by Bath Audi nigh on a month ago, they replaced the plugs, what are the chances of them mis-fitting them and not realising?

Hi Spike.

From recollection, the oil is coming from around the plugs themselves. I'll have to have another look this evening when the other half comes over with the offending engine.

If it is leaking from the rocker cover gasket, what could be done to fix this?

If it is coming from the gasket then first check the rocker cover bolts are tight. If they are, the gasket may need replacing.
Also ask your garage to check the engine breather is not blocked as this could cause the gasket to leak (quite rare on A2's)

Cheers Spike

We took the little baby up to our local stealer (Chingford) and they've taken her in for a few days.

They've already questioned as to why Bath Audi even changed the plugs and have said they will have a word with them after the techs have looked at the car...

Back