TDi Owners MUST read please

Hi Sarge just had a read of the post. Would the chain need to be changed at the same time as the tensioner? I'm assuming it would? Any idea of cost of the parts?

What damage would be caused if this tensioner was to let go at speed? I'm assuming oil starvation wouldn't be an issue if it stops the engine from turning but I can't imagine it doing the running gear much good?

Seeing as this isn't scheduled as part of routine servicing, how prevalent do you believe the failure to be? We've got some pretty high mileage TDI's in the club, perhaps it's the case that they have had the work done?

Thanks for all that you do for the club Sarge, I know I sure appreciate it and I'm sure others do too.

Hi Steve, I would change the chain, tensioner and sprockets, I believe they're available as a kit. I haven't checked cost of parts as OEM but, non OEM I would hazard a guess about £120. It goes without saying on this kind of thing I always say go OEM. If the chain does break as it has in these three cases the damage at high speed or low speed would lock your engine as if it were seized thereby locking your wheels but you'll be able to coast along to a stop if you put it into Neutral. If the chain falls into the sump then I predict the oil light will come on also there will likely be vibrations as the balance shaft will stop.

I forgot to mention my TDi I bought about 3 years ago, with the exact same fault at 110k. I suppose the lifetime of this tension is down to the oil changes and quality of oils used, as well as how it's been driven along it's life. I am just advising and not scaremongering anyone, it's up to you all to take care of this as I see this problem happening more in the near future.

If you're 'lucky' so to speak, then you'll hear clattering noises which will signal the chain is loose.

Also if you're due a cambelt change, I'd suggest to get it done at same time as it'll be cheaper that way.

Thank you Steve, I'm sure everyone also appreciates your services as well.

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarge, can you be any more specific on the rattle - rev range / engine load / temperature dependence?

My car has a rattle that I've never been able to track down between 1400rpm and 2100rpm that I've always thought was the exhaust as it goes away as the engine warms up - perhaps it's this chain?

Simon.

Does this effect both the 75 and the 90?

Sarge, can you be any more specific on the rattle - rev range / engine load / temperature dependence?

My car has a rattle that I've never been able to track down between 1400rpm and 2100rpm that I've always thought was the exhaust as it goes away as the engine warms up - perhaps it's this chain?

Simon.

Yes this affects both 75 & 90 TDi's

Simon, the noise your experiencing is not likely to be this that is causing it as if it disappears when warm them it can't be this. IF the chain is loose then the clattering will be there all the time, probably increasing when revving.

Sarge

Reactions: sco
had this happen to me in the summer £110 [arts and £450 labour ouch, i did buy a new cambelt and they fitted that at the same time as it needs to come of and it was half way through its life.
cost me a few quid in the year iv had it and a few headaches, i should of stuck with my old A3 i think

Grateful thanks to Sarge for the help and information freely given, A star gent. I've changed the chain and sprockets as suggested on my 1.4 tdi 90bhp. A good look at the before and after photos shows the amount of stretch in the chain by looking at the locating holes where the chain tensioner is retained whilst being installed. Before.jpgAfter.jpg

I'm glad this info is helping Diesel owners. I wish I had the energy and the capacity to get outside in this weather and carry it out on my own TDi which is sat unusable, waiting for it to be done and I am itching to get it done. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back