TDI Owners - Reverse Gear?

wilco184

Member of the year 2015
Hello,

I have a question for owners of TDI's regarding engaging reverse gear.

When selecting reverse gear, it is often extremely stiff, far more than I'd say is reasonable. At other times it can be fine, being maybe only slighter hard to engage than first. Is reverse being stiff to engage common with the TDI? If so, do you think this would be indicative of a fault? I ask because it was significantly easier with the FSI gearbox; I understand the gearbox's are different (02T vs 02J), but surely the TDI should not be that much more difficult. I've tried depressing the clutch and then immediately engaging reverse and waiting a little time before doing so, but the difference in time between the two methods seems to make no difference.

Many thanks,

Matt. :)

Hi Matt,

I can't say I've noticed what you're describing, but try dipping the clutch, selecting first gear and then ,without lifting the clutch pedal, select reverse.

Cheers
Jeff

If it is not helped by the clutch dipping method mentioned by you and Jeff, then it could be that your linkage needs to be adjusted perhaps?

Have you seen the utube video of how to do this?

There should be no reason why the TDI is significantly stiff, yes it will be a fair bit stiffer than a petrol gearbox (they are silky smooth and engage all gears easier than the TDI).

Steve B

I find that on occasion I cannot get the car out of reverse. It locks in gear when I stop on my drive. Solution s to roll forward a little. Don't generally have problems engaging reverse. 3rd and 4th are a bit difficult to find sometimes, but I'm getting used to that now.

Chris

Thanks for the help, everyone. :)

I tried Jeff's suggestion, and I can confirm that there is no difference if I select first gear first. It's the same as trying to engage reverse from neutral. I haven't seen the video of the linkage adjustment before, but I assume it is this video? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sheTKD03hmo) If so, do you think doing this would be the next step at trying to amend this?

Thanks once again for the help,

Matt.

I'd definately give it a go Matt, its quite easy to do, I use an allen key to lock the gearstick instead.

Thanks Steve. I'll try and give it a go.

I have one question about this procedure though. I can't quite tell in the video if he is pulling the threaded cable and the spring part away from each other to remove the slack, or pushing them together. I expect it to be the former, could you please confirm if this correct? :)

Matt.

Thanks Steve. I'll try and give it a go.

I have one question about this procedure though. I can't quite tell in the video if he is pulling the threaded cable and the spring part away from each other to remove the slack, or pushing them together. I expect it to be the former, could you please confirm if this correct? :)

Matt.

It is like a sleeve that is on the end connector. By squeezing that together it releases the tension on the cable. when you release the "squeeze" it grabs the cable in the new position.
You have locked the gear lever in position and locked the gear selector in position, releasing the cables and then "grabbing" them again removes the tension and leves the cables perfectly lined up for that position on the gear lever and selectors.

It is a very clever method of doing the adjustment, I am impressed with the design.

Steve B

Oh and the tip for the rod to use to lock the gear selector is to use a very snug allen key as Steve suggested, or an exact fitting pin but with insulation tape wrapped around the top because without the tape it WILL slip straight through and have you digging around to retrieve it.

Steve B

Last edited:
Excellent! That doesn't sound too difficult then. I'll try this when I get home and report back. :)

Thanks,

Matt.

All sorted now. The cable adjustment cured my difficult to engage reverse. :)

I found the procedure a lot simpler in practice than it sounded in theory. It's pretty simple to do, and the locking points are easy to find. First gear seems easier to engage too, and the rest seem a little more 'fluid'.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Matt. :)

Last edited:
I always love it when a "no cost" option does it.

Thanks go to the guy who designed the adjustment process.

Steve B

Back