TDI tuning chip module

driver8013

A2OC Donor
Just bought the tuning chip off ebay, not got a clue where to put it...any info/diagrams would be very helpful. 1.4 tdi 75bhp. Thanks Phil

What does it look like and how much did you pay (photos and roughly, not asking for the nearest penny!).

I can only comment or help further from there.

Cheers,

Mike

Not being funny, but the best thing you can do when it arrives is throw it in the bin - all they are is a cement cased resistor that fools the engine into thinking it is running lean, so the ECU pumps more diesel in.

In the worst case scenario, you can hole a piston, burn the rings or kill the engine in some other way. Best case scenario is that you get a tiny bit more power but you suffer massive increases in fuel costs.

If it's more power you want, invest in a proper remap.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike, i was led to believe the chip was to give more mpg under normal driving, thats the reason i bought it (a friend at work fitted one to a seat and he recommended it). Never really thought about a remap (whatever that is.) but after looking around the site it seems alot of A2 owners have had this done, what exactly does this involve, what are the benefits and costs? Thanks Phil

A remap involves custom re-writing of the ignition software, as contained in the ECU.

The car will be put on a rolling road to assess the optimum settings and so you can expect maximum power (around 35bhp for a TDi 75) and maximum economy for that power (it's not just a case of bungin more fuel in).

The reason why so many people have had it done is simply because it works and works well, transforming the car in the process.

Expect to pay anywhere from £250 upwards. Stealth Racing in Southam are one of the finest tuners.

Cheers,

Mike

Looks like a little black box (L-shaped) payed £17, they all look the same and and claim to give an extra 15bhp.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170294050418&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007

Good advice as always from Skipton, I bought one of these eBay +15BHP boxes for my A4 a few years ago. It illuminated the Engine Management light, made the turbo have a mind of its own and ended up in the bin a week later!:eek: I then got a proper remap, and plan to do this with the A2 sometime this year. Its £250 - £300 well spent as Mike says. A good remap transforms Audi diesels. Smoother, better performance and better fuel economy.:D

Thanks for the replies....i'd better start saving up for a remap...lol is there any places around the manchester/lancashire area where this can be done?

You can try Awesome at Irlam, but they are pricey.

Best results are from Stealth - yes, it's a bit of a drive, but they are the best.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks again, will certainly look them up (maybe a late xmas prezzy).

I'd just like to add, this is my first Audi and i love the car, wish i'd bought one years ago.....Great site, keep up the good work. Thanks Phil

Best results are from Stealth - yes, it's a bit of a drive, but they are the best.

Thanks Mike

As Mike has stated all they are is a cement cased resistor that fools the engine into thinking it is running lean, so the ECU pumps more diesel in.
they are not good for your car
If you ring Vince at stealth he will give you the price for a remap on 01926812259

Cheers
Robin

Whilst i agree with all the comments above about these ebay devices there are some very good 'plug n play' modules on the market usually made in Germany and to very high standards. I had one from DTUK on my A2 and the only reason i switched to a re-map is to give a bigger % power increase than the module acheived.

AFAIK, the only way to get a power increase in an ECU monitored engine is via reprogramming. If those ebay tuning boxes manage to do something of the sort, then hell-yeah, it could work.
If those boxes are something that you plug onto an existing cable, then you have to ask yourself how can they work that magic?:D In 98% of the cases, these contraptions fool some sensor into giving the ECU wrong data, like cold engine, lean mixture or delayed timing, either one of these tricks playing havoc with your engine in the middle-long term and substantially rising the fuel consumption.
So it doesn't matter if the resistor is made at high standards, the safest and most successful way of engine chipping is a remap.

other ways to do it involve putting a bleed valve into the wastegate so that it fools the ECU into thinking the turbo is not achieving as much boost as it really is, so the ECU keeps calling for more boost. This is not the way to do it either.
My brother ended up with one of these (not by choice) after a "custom remap" by Superchips a few years ago. Sure, the engine produced more boost and way more torque/power, but economy went through the floor and after a few months developed a major misfire - which was the exhaust valves having been damaged through the excessive boost with no failsafe.

Get a proper remap done by a proper agency recommended by other Audi drivers: e.g.

Revo/AmD (same company)
MRC Tuning
Stealth

Back