TDI's - 75 vs 90

Aluminium

A2OC Donor
I've had my 1.4 TDI for a couple of months now and love it to bits (I hope my Porsche 968 isn't reading this!) but can't help wondering what a 90 BHP version feels like in comparison . . .
Would it be worth changing up from a 75 BHP model?

Looking at the fuel figures on Autotrader's tech sheets there's not much between them but I'm not sure how accurate the data is.

My old B5 S4 had DIS and sports seats, both features I'd love in my A2.

A 90PS motor doesn't automatically mean DIS and Sports seats. You need a Sport model for those to be standard although they were cost options on all models.
Performance wise a remapped 75 will give you more performance than a stock 90 for not much money...

Hi Dan, thanks for clearing up the spec/options, I presumed a 90 had all the trimmings!

Reference the remap on a 75 BHP engine, how does this compare with a 90 with regards the spread of torque?
I guess the 3 cylinder 75 engine will be peaky against the 4 cylnder 90??

Stick with what you know! The 75 is generally more reliable avoiding turbo and DMF problems so stick to it. Go for a remap and also look at the 5th gear upgrade.

I used to have a 944T until last year so rather jealous of the 968.....

A remapped 75 is pretty good. The flywheel is more reliable too (the 90 uses a dual-mass-flywheel).

Stealth charge £225 + vat to remap a 75, after the club discount. Much cheaper than buying another car. The remap isn't peaky if you get it from Stealth - the HP keeps steadily climbing all the way up to the red line. If you search the forum you should find some examples of people's dyno plots.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info chaps :)

I know lousy DMF's are, got rid of the original one in my 968 when I got the clutch replaced, the SMF's wonderful!

So I'll stick with my current steed and replace the suspension, fit the under-floor aero kit and then think about remapping.
I know Vince from my mkII Golf GTI days, I used to drive from Leicester to Southam for all my servicing - he's brilliant!

Back