temperature gauge not moving

disting

hi. having a problem with the temperature gauge on my audi a2 1.4 tdi and would appreciate some help /advice;

Upon turning the key prior to start, temperature gauge moves a 'tad' off the stops (around 60), then does not move at all during driving.
1/ Could it be a fuse?-Although it does seem to indicate it has power to it I would have the thought, if the needle moves a tad as the key is turned from the off position.
2/ Have searched the threads and wondered if it might be a temperature sensor/sender. If so please could someone enlighten me as to where exactly I can find the sensor/sender on a 1.4Tdi? Have had the bonnet off for a quick shufty, but I don't have any manuals for it so didn't want to start pulling and poking about.

What do you think?

All help would be much appreciated, or a photo of where I could find it would be really really great.

Thankyou in anticipation.
Andy

Hi Andy
First suspect is the temperature sender, second suspect is the thermostat itself. I had similar issues to you last autumn/ Christmas, eventually solved it by replacing both items (in my case the thermostat was stuck so the engine was never actually reaching full operating temperature and my fuel economy was down as a result).

Both are easy DIY jobs on the TDi although access is a little fiddly.

For the temp sender, it's on the right hand side of the engine block as you look at it, but nestled on the back corner. Removing a small cable bracket helps you get access to it.

For the thermostat, it's on the front side of the engine block as you look at it, towards the bottom left. It's a simple case of removing the pipes and removing the stat.

There are guides on this forum somewhere if you do a search.
In each case you'll exsanguinate a lot of coolant, so get yourself a new bottle of G12+ before you start and consider it an opportunity to do a full system fluid change!

Here's my thread about it
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12338&highlight=temperature+sender

Last edited:
Back