Thank you for welcome me!

Daniele

Hi all, first thing first I would like to apologize for my english, I'm Daniele, I'm from Italy and I'm a fresh new Audi A2 owner. Long story short, I bought from my uncle a 2002 1.6 FSI in really bad shape but I'm looking to give it a whole new life. The car has not been turned on for 4 years, painting has started to spoil and there is a bit of rust here and there but it should not be such a big issue. Some mechanical issues have already been resolved so I'm now focusing on the electronic and I'm hoping to get some help from you in order to go on with my work. See you on the forum then!

Benvenuto!

(I think - please accept my apology for the terrible Italian!)

ask questions, there are many people who will try to give helpful answers here. Buonaserra.

Benvenuto!

(I think - please accept my apology for the terrible Italian!)

ask questions, there are many people who will try to give helpful answers here. Buonaserra.

Ciao! Your italian is quite good, only a typo in "buonasera"! Thank you for welcome me, I'll be really active on the forum, I really want to put my A2 on the street as soon as possible!

Welcome Daniele. It is always good to hear of someone that is rescuing an A2, especially a FSi, as they can be a challenge and many are scrapped.

Welcome Daniele. It is always good to hear of someone that is rescuing an A2, especially a FSi, as they can be a challenge and many are scrapped.

Hi Alan, thank you! I really like the car, it would be a waste to not attempt a good restore. If I'll be able to fix some "little" issues and pass the inspection (which if I recall in UK is called MOT test?), I'm sure the car will shine again

Very little, that is easy, is rewarding
If an FSI is a challenge, (it is), then rising to that challenge will be very rewarding.
Find a Windows laptop, XP onwards, a KKL, USB to serial lead, (ebay circa 10 Euros), then download, (Ross-Tech website), a free copy of VCDS Lite. It will enable you to talk to the FSI in his, (or perhaps her), own language. From conversations come knowledge. Good luck, and you'll get the help, sympathy, and encouragement here.
Mac.

Very little, that is easy, is rewarding
If an FSI is a challenge, (it is), then rising to that challenge will be very rewarding.
Find a Windows laptop, XP onwards, a KKL, USB to serial lead, (ebay circa 10 Euros), then download, (Ross-Tech website), a free copy of VCDS Lite. It will enable you to talk to the FSI in his, (or perhaps her), own language. From conversations come knowledge. Good luck, and you'll get the help, sympathy, and encouragement here.
Mac.
From your airbag post, I see you already have VCDS, so your on your way
Mac

From your airbag post, I see you already have VCDS, so your on your way
Mac
Hi Mac, yes, I really dove in, I read the forum a lot before registering and learned a little so the first thing I did was to borrow a VCDS from a friend but I'll buy my own for sure as soon as possible, it seems to be a must have tool

Good Evening Daniele,

You will probably prefer working with an Italian label file for the FSI which I know is out there somewhere, maybe part of VCDS entirely in Italian.

Andy

Last edited:
Good Evening Daniele,

You will probably prefer working with an Italian label file for the FSI which I know is out there somewhere, maybe part of VCDS entirely in Italian.

Andy
Hi Andrew, good morning! I've already have both the italian and the english version of VCDS, many thanks :) it is not the latest version but it does its job perfectly

Hi Andrew, good morning! I've already have both the italian and the english version of VCDS, many thanks :) it is not the latest version but it does its job perfectly
There is an FSI Engine lbl file available from A2OC, the file that's part of the Lite version is not correct for the FSI. The Lite version is not supported by Ross-Tech, so the only source of a correct FSI engine file, for Lite is here.
It's English.
Ross-Tech do not provide translations of their files, but it's possible, (but unlikely), that a local Ross-Tech distributor has created one. But not for FSI engine, as until a few months ago, there wasn't one.
Mac.

t
There is an FSI Engine lbl file available from A2OC, the file that's part of the Lite version is not correct for the FSI. The Lite version is not supported by Ross-Tech, so the only source of a correct FSI engine file, for Lite is here.
It's English.
Ross-Tech do not provide translations of their files, but it's possible, (but unlikely), that a local Ross-Tech distributor has created one. But not for FSI engine, as until a few months ago, there wasn't one.
Mac.
Thank you very much. Yes, there is an italian official VCDS seller that provide the software in italian language but I didn't know about the specific label for the FSI, I'll check for sure, meanwhile I'll use my friend's VCDS which seems to work great

Hi Alan, thank you! I really like the car, it would be a waste to not attempt a good restore. If I'll be able to fix some "little" issues and pass the inspection (which if I recall in UK is called MOT test?), I'm sure the car will shine again
Yes it is called the MOT (Ministry of Transport) test but that government department no longer exists. It is now overseen by Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) but the test is still officially called an MOT.

In recent years any engine management light showing is now a failure. As FSi models are prone to have engine management problems some drivers/sellers have removed or covered over the light but this can be checked as the light should be on when the ignition is turned on and go out when the vehicle is started.

As far as I know, the situation is similar here in Italy, some friends told me that their cars have been even checked with on OBD scanner so to pass the inspection everything must be right or you have to be lucky and find a less strict inspector. My car has not been inspectioned since 2016 (it should be checked every 2 years if it is used regurarly) so it will be carefully checked, which it means that I have lot of work to do to pass the test. The real problem is that I can't drive the car without the test being done so I can't even go to the tyre shop to change the tyres

Back