Thankful A2 owner

dezel

Hi All,

Great forum, with help from various posts I got my open sky replaced for free (well I paid for a full service whilst there) at Rinner in Bad Tolz so a lovely road trip and working sunroof. Also just fixed a sticking drivers window by resetting the door module - I had been resetting by taking off the battery connections for 3 months until reading a post about how to reset the door module. So thanks to everyone!

Had the A2 1.4 tdi since new (2001) Good points nippy, distinctive, design hasn't aged, can even get 80 mpg on an economy run, low insurance and road tax, great space inside for size, feels classy.

Not so good - local Audi dealer! , rough slow speed ride and suspension crashes on our bumpy, pot holed roads (yes it has the low profile alloy wheel option :( ) open sky constantly sticking since new (still does on a hot day - you have to push it upwards by hand at the same time as using the switch to stop the risk of it jamming and breaking the opening system) a few visibility blind spots. but overall have become quite attached over the years!

Anyway thanks once more to the forum and hope to dip in and out in the future.

Dezel

Welcome! Good work on the OpenSky fix - was that recent? the Audi UK "good will" repair was only for 10 years, so I guess the Germans are still honoring it over at Rinners?

Your suspension is 13 years old, maybe treat it to a new set of (uprated) shocks and springs with some new bushes all round? The A2 was never the most limo-like of cars suspension-wise, but it can be improved.

Actually I doubt if the suspension is 13 years old as "bits connected to the front wheels" have been replaced quite frequently over the years!

You mentioned the Audi UK "goodwill repair" well I approached my local dealer who had supplied the car from new and spent 10 years failing to make the open sky work 100% and they denied there was any free replacement scheme so it was only through this forum I was able to contact Germany. I went to Rinners in December 2011 the car was just outside the 10 years but I'd contacted them within the 10 year window and they got approval from Audi. I think the main problem with the Open Sky is the vast expanse of glass and the fact it doesn't flex like metal and expands in the heat causing it to jam. I did mention the jamming to Rinners after they had fixed it and they told me to turn an adjustment screw next to the runners a few turns - which helped but it still catches on a hot day.

This was the info from Jacob at Rinner (looks like he used Google translate! but the screws are where he says)

"you need the first!!! two screws that you see when you open the roof a little loose. Important, only the first screws left and right. These screws can be seen only when the disc is completely open. Then loosen the screws and re-establish. Will be over soon.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/kind regards

Jakob Nieß

Back