The 1.4 TDi - 75bhp versus 90bhp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonblakeburn

If this has been asked before, then I shall apologise in advance ;)

Does anybody know the differences between the build of the 75bhp and 90bhp engines? It can't just be the ECU that's changed, as Jabbasport.com offer chips to take the 75 up to 100bhp and the 90 up to 115/120bhp.

Any thoughts anyone? :)

Jon Blakeburn

As far as I know, the main difference is the turbo, the 90´s turbo has variable geometry...

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, TV, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

quote:Originally posted by jonblakeburn

If this has been asked before, then I shall apologise in advance ;)

Does anybody know the differences between the build of the 75bhp and 90bhp engines? It can't just be the ECU that's changed, as Jabbasport.com offer chips to take the 75 up to 100bhp and the 90 up to 115/120bhp.

Any thoughts anyone? :)

Jon Blakeburn

Does this answer your question?!!
To quote from Audi Press release (& A2OC newsletter)

New Diesel Engined A2 Starting in November 2003: the Audi A2 1.4 TDI is to be available with an uprated version of the diesel engine, with 66 kW (90 bhp) of power. Maximum torque of 230 Nm is between 1900 and 2200 rpm, and accelerates the A2 from 0 to 100 km/h in 10.9 seconds . This new top version in the diesel Audi A2 model line has a top speed of 188 km/h and complies with the tough European EU4 exhaust emission limits. The new engine owes its higher power output and torque primarily to a new turbocharger with variable turbine geometry and a boost pressure raised to 2.3 bar (absolute). The new charge-air intercooler, with a distinctly higher efficiency rating, also contributes to the 1.4-litre engine's higher performance, as does the optimised combustion chamber pattern. The compression ratio has been lowered to 18.0 : 1. Further detailed work on the engine and its high-pressure fuel injection system has enabled Audi's engineers to complywith the most stringent emission limits currently valid worldwide. Examples of their work are the electrically operatedexhaust gas recirculation system, which now has an uprated cooling capacity and the shutoff flap in the intake manifold,controlled by the engine operating map, which helps to maintain the optimum combustion mixture. The pump-injectorelements have a modified spray angle and increased flow capacity to suit the new operating situation. There have been detail modifications to the entire pump-injector system. The new Bosch EDC 15 engine managementwith EOBD (European On-board Diagnosis) and separate pilot injection has injector elements of even higher precisionand therefore exerts a positive effect on emission and noise levels. The larger oil cooler and the new pistons with cooling oilway are a logical consequence of the more extremetemperatures likely to be encountered in this powerful engine. Screening measures on the intake manifold and cylinderblock have achieved a distinct improvement in the three-cylinder engine's acoustic refinement. The engine's low weight of only 127 kg helps to keep the complete car's unladen weight down to 1030 kg and achievesbalanced weight distribution between the axles. The suspension has also been matched to the increased performance, with spring and shock absorber ratings chosen forbalance between agility and convincing ride comfort in all driving conditions. Like the A2 1.6 FSI, this new top TDI modelhas disc brakes at the rear wheels as well. A red 'I' in the badge on the tailgate identifies the new most powerful TDI version of the A2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back