Information The A2 Cruise control is clever!!!!

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
HI,

The Cruise Control on the A2 is very clever, as I discovered on the way to Kimbolton at the weekend !!!

I was doing 70 in the outside lane, with the cruise control engaged, calmly and sensibly overtaking a slower moving car, then the car I was overtaking (alongside me now) decided to move out into my lane.

I had to take avoiding action.

I didn't brake because that would have kept us in the same position and therefore a crash was likely, I just swerved quite firmly to move away from him and was then clear of the "idiot".

To my surprise, my car started to slow ! The cruise had disconnected due to the swerve!!!

I did not brake and did not touch the clutch, but it disengaged for safety !!

To me that is very safe and sensible, if I had swerved towards the hard shoulder or grass verge etc, I would not want the power to remain on, keeping me at 70 mph!.

So our Cruise Control in our A2s is very clever (Timmus installed of course)

Thanks Tom

Steve B

That does sound a clever feature although I wonder how it works?

I must install cruise control soon

That does sound a clever feature although I wonder how it works?

I must install cruise control soon

I believe that it is caused by the ABS sensing the imbalance in wheel rotations and applying the anti skid, briefly, and that is sensible!
Tom said something like that when I asked on Sunday.

There is also a "yaw sensor" and so that would sense the sharp sideways movement and that too would disengage it I suppose. (just my guess!)

Steve B

I didn't know it did that either. Perhaps it's dialled in to the steering angle sensor, or the yaw sensor, both of which are part of the stability control system?

Nice find Steve.

Just do me a favour....watch the Essex news for details of a single car accident on the M11 due to "an A2 owner" trying to operate this feature but swerving a little too sharply!

Back