The cost of towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EF MAX

Having just ordered my first A2 and having read all the previous notes about fitting a tow bar I HAD to opt to have one factory fitted.

I was a bit put out that local towbar fitters will normally charge about £150 or less for this service yet Audi charge a massive £530..

Okay, I bite my tounge and pay up.. I am told it needs a special adapter for it to work with UK electrics,, so what..

So what means that on top of that unfair £530 I now also have to pay an extra £105 for this adapter,, come on Audi how much pi$$ can you take out of your British Customers..

A2 owners,, is this typical of Audi pricing as I have owned other German cars but not an Audi before and just wanted to know what I am up against in the future for things that I might need to buy for this car... cheers,, whinge over..

I suspect it has something to do with the aluminium construction of the car. It's not possible to simply fit a steel towbar to a alu car. The alu and steel would act as a battery when wet (and salt) and this would corrode the aluminium. When the towbar would be used and the chassis was corroded it could be ripped out of the car. Altogether a big no-no.
Either Audi has mounted a sacrifical anode (used at ships) or they have made the towbar from aluminium. I think that they did the last, this would explain the high price of the towbar.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Its still a hefty price, then they want to charge for the electrics on top of this. Their definatley ripping us off ![:0]

2002, 1.4, azure blue, 2 tone leather, concert II single cd. Member of A2OC site.

After all of this I now discover that the 7 pin adapter can be had from any decent towing place for just £13+ vat,, umm,, just a bit cheaper than Audi's quoted £90+ vat

quote:Originally posted by EF MAX

After all of this I now discover that the 7 pin adapter can be had from any decent towing place for just £13+ vat,, umm,, just a bit cheaper than Audi's quoted £90+ vat
It's possible that the Audi one also connects the lights of the trailer to the DIS system. That way DIS can also check the lights of the trailer.
My previous Vauxhall also had this, the towbar (or trekhaak as we say) was almost thrice as expensive as at Halfords. This was due to the integration of the trailers lights with the boardcomputer.

Just a thought :)

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I presume that Audi supply a single thirteen pin socket (Current European practice for caravans) rather than the twin 7 pin sockets which are standard in the UK. You then need a 13 pin to 2x7 pin adaptor. My father had the same problem with his volvo and bought a 13 pin plug which he fitted to the caravan wiring himself -if you just tow a trailer you do not need all thirteen and should be able to replace the 13 pin socket with a single 7 pin UK standard.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

I only need to tow a very light trailer with some rowing gear in it,, but "Indespension" who sell the adapter told me that our local Audi dealer often buy these adapters from them and then mark them up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back