The end of my dipstick broke off!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

psampson

Having had the car back from the dealership, to have the anti-roll bar replaced and the A/C fixed (again), I decided to take a look at the oil level, as I hadn't checked it for a while. To my horror, the end of the dipstick has broken off in the engine block.

I read somewhere on this forum, ages ago, that this happened to someone else. However, I couldn't easily find it during the search of the archives.

Anyone else had this happen and more importantly is the dipstick isolated from the engine, or is the car not suitable to be driven? It's Saturday afternoon and the service area is now shut until Monday, when I'm going to need the car. Grrr :(

psampson

Not being an engine guru myself, I would have thought that is a bad thing to happen and I would be worried the end got suck up into the engine.

Have you called the Audi helpline-they don't just do breakdowns!?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

That was me.
I could bring my car in immediately - but the lady on the phone wasn't the brightest..
I asked her if it was safe to drive, with the broken off part still inside.
Her reply : "well it's always inside isn't it?" ...
I got her to ask a mechanic, apparently it was OK..
They got the piece out, installed a new sheath and dipstick, under warranty.
They had never encountered it before.

Cheers,
Werner

This happened to me too a couple of weeks ago.
I rang audi GAtwick who eventually said the car was O.K to drive and have since replaced the dipstick with a new one under warranty.

Annie
That is worrying-is this a new trend in broken dipsticks!.

And welcome to the forum!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back