The Open Sky Lives!

Kleynie

A2OC Donor
Those who read my previous thread will know that my son and I replaced the open sky in his car a couple of weeks ago, however things didn't quite go to plan.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...tor-acting-strangely.35430/page-2#post-311392

So the third time lucky this weekend proved a success, however the parts were £250 form Crewe Audi, so its not a cheap fix. The rear guide rails were replaced, no.53 in the drawing, the repair plates for the front guide rails were also fitted, no.52 on the drawing, as well as a complete dismantle and clean/lubricate of the whole thing. This took 8 hrs to complete, not including removing the head lining.

OSS.png

Once reassembled, the result was a very stiff mechanism due to the new parts, we operated the roof backwards and forwards by hand on the bench to try and free it up, this didn't seem to have any effect. Not knowing whether the motor was strong enough to operate the roof we fitted it to the car. Note, the two glass panels have to be exactly adjusted so as the seals don't bind when opened, even 1mm can make a difference.
Old OSS removed and new one put in, we invented a clamping system to get the glass panels exactly flush all around (needless to say it rained):

20180428_193557.JPG

20180428_193605.JPG

And the sides:

20180428_193811.JPG

20180428_194411.JPG

And the rear:
20180428_194925.JPG

With the motor refitted it turns out that the motor is strong enough to move the stiff mechanism. The first stage was the tilt:

20180428_200138.JPG

Second stage, fully open, yay:

20180428_200201.JPG

Next day we then took the opportunity whilst the roof lining was down to fit the DAB aerial, it only just fitted between the open tailgate and the retracted roof.

IMG_1260.JPG

Now that's what I call a result.

DIY open sky, even though it took £250 in parts and three attempts, it was worth it.

Fantastic work, I love to see young people getting involved. Daughter is slightly reluctant (13yo) though if she's going to drive, she's going to understand how it works.

GREAT! Well done! The DAB aerial? Where is the feed taken to inside the car? I have DVBT in my A2 and I would like a superior aerial system. You have chosen a novel location and a very good one! BUT how do you get the cable into the car? I know that it isn't impossible to drill a hole through glass, but I don't know who could do that difficult task?

David

Fantastic work, I love to see young people getting involved. Daughter is slightly reluctant (13yo) though if she's going to drive, she's going to understand how it works.
Adam is 17 and its his car to learn to drive in. He is more hands on than most at his age.

GREAT! Well done! The DAB aerial? Where is the feed taken to inside the car? I have DVBT in my A2 and I would like a superior aerial system. You have chosen a novel location and a very good one! BUT how do you get the cable into the car? I know that it isn't impossible to drill a hole through glass, but I don't know who could do that difficult task?

David
The aerial itself simply sticks to the glass with the receiver sticking to the underneath, I ordered it with a 5m lead to run along the headlining, behind the glovebox to the radio. This is the aerial:

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DEGA-T4002_telescopic_glass_mount_DAB_car_aerial.html

Ian

Great result, well done both for the patients this must of taken.. great job well done ??..

Which hospital was that, then? LOL! Did you get so work-up that you needed to recover, afterwards? Only joking ..... I knew that you meant "patience" !

David

Those who read my previous thread will know that my son and I replaced the open sky in his car a couple of weeks ago, however things didn't quite go to plan.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...tor-acting-strangely.35430/page-2#post-311392

So the third time lucky this weekend proved a success, however the parts were £250 form Crewe Audi, so its not a cheap fix. The rear guide rails were replaced, no.53 in the drawing, the repair plates for the front guide rails were also fitted, no.52 on the drawing, as well as a complete dismantle and clean/lubricate of the whole thing. This took 8 hrs to complete, not including removing the head lining.

View attachment 39191

Once reassembled, the result was a very stiff mechanism due to the new parts, we operated the roof backwards and forwards by hand on the bench to try and free it up, this didn't seem to have any effect. Not knowing whether the motor was strong enough to operate the roof we fitted it to the car. Note, the two glass panels have to be exactly adjusted so as the seals don't bind when opened, even 1mm can make a difference.
Old OSS removed and new one put in, we invented a clamping system to get the glass panels exactly flush all around (needless to say it rained):

View attachment 39192

View attachment 39193

And the sides:

View attachment 39194

View attachment 39195

And the rear:
View attachment 39196

With the motor refitted it turns out that the motor is strong enough to move the stiff mechanism. The first stage was the tilt:

View attachment 39197

Second stage, fully open, yay:

View attachment 39198

Next day we then took the opportunity whilst the roof lining was down to fit the DAB aerial, it only just fitted between the open tailgate and the retracted roof.

View attachment 39199

Now that's what I call a result.

DIY open sky, even though it took £250 in parts and three attempts, it was worth it.
Wow that looks like a job for the brave ...... If id seen it done and understood how it all worked and went together I might have a go, but it looks v difficult when your not sure what you are doing.
Kicking myself a bit that when i had the front section only opening ok I did not leave well alone .
Thanks for the info,,,,, your roof looks brilliant very envious

Great read.
I grew up in Madeley not to far from Crewe.
Mine open sky is still working. Athough It was replaced under warranty when it was on it's 2nd or 3rd owner
But what grease/lube do you recommend to keep it working well?

Back