The Saga of the A2 and the Norwegian Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit lewis

There we were - driving merrily through the spectacular scenery of Norway back in June, when we entered one of the many long and dark tunnels that are so common in that part of the country. My wife Lyn was driving and we were behind a large HGV but as the tunnel was long and dark and the speed limit was only 50 kmh we settled back to wait for another opportunity to overtake.

Suddenly a large block of concrete emerged from under the rear wheels of the truck and before we could react the lump had gone between our front wheels. There was a huge THUMP from the back of the car and we bounced a few inches into the air. Lyn managed to keep the car under control and we carried on - there was nowhere to stop! Later on we pulled over and I did a quick check of the car - all the wheels, brakes and steering appeared fine and there were no obvious problems...... so we carried on.

Time Passes............

2 weeks ago Lyn was in Nottingham when the handbrake cable snapped. The cable had been almost severed and had been working on only two strands!

Audi roadside care were excellent and the car was recovered back to our local dealer and we had a loan car for a week (lovely A3 2.0 -FSi)whilst they ordered a new cable from Germany.

When the cable was refitted a large hole approx 2 inches square was found through the floorpan of the car leading into the nearside rear passenger footwell. The lump of concrete had punched a hole through the aluminium skin of the car and then had crimped the handbrake cable causing the damage that led to the eventual failure of the cable some 4 months later....

Now faced with a bill for rewelding the hole in the floorpan and the handbrake cable has already cost £150 - Audi having refused to pay for the job as a warranty claim. Next trick will be to persuade the insurance company to pay for the work... they have already tried to back out of it by claiming a green card wasn't issued - but it was and they have had to back down....

Has anyone else had experience of having holes in the bodywork fixed?? [2]

Ho hum - at least the body isn't rusting!;)

Dolphin Grey 1.6 FSI SE with Red Leather, ECC, DIS & Symphony 6 CD

4 months with damage like that, thinking about taking mine on the Paris - Dakar reckon i could do it on two tanks of diesel!!!

I'm waiting the full damage assessment which will come sometime next week I hope. Now that the annoyance factor has worn off I'm very impressed with the toughness of the A2. And I got to look at the underside without rolling it!

Updates to follow......

Kit

quote: Audi having refused to pay for the job as a warranty claim.

No, really ?

Shocking [8D]

2002 TDi SE, Dolphin Grey,Black/grey interior,climate,CD.

Well - to be fair I don't think Audi are to blame for leaving a large lump of concrete in the middle of a Norwegian tunnel - unless we try to work in poor visibility from the front pillars or misting of headlights into the equation.

Car is now 'fixed' and will be returned to the house today and keys put through the letter box. Hope they get the right house......!

That's all folks

Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back