Thinking of buying - 1.4 TDI 75

Andy 53i

Hi,

Congratulations on an informative and friendly community. I have been facinated by A2s since driving a 1.2 TDI nearly 15 years ago. I'm now searching for a 1.4 TDI 75 (for its simplicity vs a 90 as there's no DMF) and they seem more readily available. I *think* the ideal spec would be a post 2003MY version (for the larger tank) as I expect I'll be doing upto 350 - 400 miles a week in it.

What kind of range can be expected between fill ups with a TDI 75 with a small tank and a large tank? If over 350miles is possible with a small tank then this opens up a lot more cars as most seem to be 'Y' or '51' plate cars (350 seems reasonable with 58mpg (data from Fuelly) and 28 litres fill - not running the tank too low). I don't want to be visiting the filling station more than once a week!

A Sport would be my first choice (with 16" wheels) to get DIS, but a Sport seems to consist of Sports seats (do they all have electric lumbar adjustment?), updated suspension (is this springs only or springs and dampers?) and different design wheel / optional 17" wheels. Is there anything else (dark colour headliner?). Could a black or grey SE be made into a Sport interior by only changing the seats?

I've always admired what I think is called Pine Green but as far as I can tell these are pre '02 reg SE (so ruling out Sport and the larger tank) but do they also only come with the cream / beige interiors?

I've looked at a couple of cars (one Sport, one SE) both with OSS and neither worked, so that looks like one to avoid!

So, Pine Green post '03 Sport with black interior, no OSS and DIS is what I'm looking for, but as my mum says 'what you want isn't made!'

Any thoughts, comments on the above questions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to the club. If you haven't already received my welcome pack please let me know.

I think the only issue you will struggle on with your ideal choice is the colour combo.

Pine green always seems to be combined with a twist cream interior.

If it's just the DIS and lumber support you want from a sport then you may be better off buying a pine green SE model and changing the interior and retro-fitting DIS. All easily achievable if you have a bit of patience to change everything over.

Finding a good condition Pine Green TDI would be my priority and then everything else can follow.

Also don't be put off by a non working opensky roof. It's a nice feature to have even if it doesn't work plus I sell working roofs for £125 so it's not a big bank breaker.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the club and feel free to ask as many questions you need.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve,

In my experience the small more niche car clubs tend to be the friendlier and more enthusiastic.

From your experience with the larger tank 75 TDI what distance do you see between refills?

Andy

Sorry I can't help you with the miles per refill, I stopped calculating it years ago. All I can say is its loads :)

Hi,
I am regularly getting 58 to 63 MPG out of my 1.4TDI, I also have the small tank, but don't see it as an issue as 370 to 400 miles per tank is normal, a little less if mostly town work, a little more if mainly motorway miles. Owe and mine is near 280,000 miles. I did calculate how much diesel it had used during its life, from memory is was around 640 tanks and £21,000 worth
I also have a 1.4 petrol A2 also with the small tank, it is slightly annoying on the petrol as a fill up is needed at the lowish 300 to 340 miles so would have liked the large tank on the petrol, however it is rather pleasing when a full tank of fuel is around the £31 mark :)

My wife mostly drives our 75 TDI and doing mostly highway miles it seems to average 62 MPG (4.5l / 100km) and up to 70 MPG (4.0l / 100km) on longer journeys. Never less than 58 MPG. This translates to around 700-750km or ~466 miles on a full 34l tank.

Back