Thinking of buying a A2 , advice much appreciated

mockingbird

A2OC Donor
Hi all,
I have been thinking about buying a A2 for my wife who is a new driver for the past few days and have reading up regarding A2.(mostly here and some old reviews)
One thing that struck me is the cult like following of A2,something i haven't seen since Lambretta day on Isle of Wight.

I have come across posts which compare petrol and diesel engines in terms of MPG, emissions,torque etc.
Can some one please comment on the general engine performance (petrol 1.4,1.6 vs diesel 70 BHP,90 BHP) after 100k on the clock as most A2's for sale seem to have this mileage.

I have seen some petrol A2 's(1.4) with mileage of 130k available between £1500 - £2000 on ebay with partial service history and understand that remap does not improve the petrol engines performance.
Is it wise to buy a petrol A2 with high mileage(another £500 in budget for any fixes)?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Personally, I'd look for a diesel 1.4 tdi SE. Fuel economy is great, road tax is low. The ride is 'firm', handling good and it's great on motorways. Plenty of space inside if you take the rear seats out.
On the downside, Audi garages are perhaps not the cheapest of places to get the car seen to, so if you need to, look out for other options.
If you get a decent car, you won't be disappointed!

Hi Mockingbird, and welcome to the forum.

I was reading another thread you commented on

I am planning to buy a A2,should the high price -low mileage ones be avoided?

Simple answer is no, definitely not. It is a fact of motoring-purchase life that low mileage cars will retain there value, however there is also no reason to discount higher mileage cars either.
If the vehicle has been well maintained using the correct fluids and parts, and not thrashed, high mileage is not necessarily a problem.

I added to a thread some while ago that might help you decide what you want from an A2:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...t-spec-A2-whats-important-and-whats-not/page5

Hopefully you'll find a nice example.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Mockingbird
I wander if my dads car will be any good for you? It will be for sale if i can resolve the cccu issue ( see other thread on cccu)
It is a 2004 54 reg A2 tdi (75) ,SE, it was an Audi demo plus 2 lady previous owners then my dad who i purchased the car for in September 2009, who has had to give up driving due poor eye sight .The car has been serviced at 23,47,73,81and 87 miles all at Audi main dealers with a new cambelt and waterpump at 71k on 21/11/09 the car has now done 90,198 miles.It is mot'd until 27 /01/13 and taxed until June 2013 the car in Cobolt Blue which a very dark blue allmost black. It has cruise control, climate control (very slight wear to buttons) but has MANUAL REAR WINDOWS.
The can be viewed at my house M4 J18 Bath/Stroud or at my dads house J22 M5 Burnham-on-sea
If you would like more information or photos please pm me
Regards Terry

Last edited:
Hi Mockingbird, and welcome to the forum.

I was reading another thread you commented on

I am planning to buy a A2,should the high price -low mileage ones be avoided?

Simple answer is no, definitely not. It is a fact of motoring-purchase life that low mileage cars will retain there value, however there is also no reason to discount higher mileage cars either.
If the vehicle has been well maintained using the correct fluids and parts, and not thrashed, high mileage is not necessarily a problem.

I added to a thread some while ago that might help you decide what you want from an A2:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...t-spec-A2-whats-important-and-whats-not/page5

Hopefully you'll find a nice example.

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff this is very informative,thanks.

Funnily enough I can't find my comments on that thread.

Would you be kind enough to let me know the costs involved for retro fitting an Audi A2 with DIS and upgrading to Koni FSDs and Weitec springs please?
Thanks

Try to find the best condition, serviced and lowest miles you can. Concentrate on the basics and don't let extra toys throw you. Make sure the tool kit is complete (tools, air pump, tyre weld and 1st aid kit) and if it has a spare wheel that is a bonus!

I've driven a 1.4 petrol, a 75ps diesel and a 1.6 petrol. The deisel is the loudest but pulls well and is economical. The 1.4 petrol is frugal and good round town, but I found it a bit too weak for distance, and the 1.6 petrol is the best distance driver and is quiet but is more thirsty and expensive.

Hope that helps.

Would you be kind enough to let me know the costs involved for retro fitting an Audi A2 with DIS and upgrading to Koni FSDs and Weitec springs please?
Thanks

DIS requires replacing the entire instrument pod with one that is compatible with your car (for a start, petrol vs diesel) and there could be other details such as small vs big fuel tank level sensor. There is a thread with members successfully completed the job. FSD themselves are about £450-500 these days I think. The springs may be <£150. Then you add the labor for fitting which, say 4hrs (x whatever rate your garage charges), or you go DIY. You may also want to replace other minor bits and pieces at the same time such as bump stop and bushings. Well documented what parts you may need so roughly at another £50. It will be comfortably under £1000 for a brand new suspension that should last a long time.

I bought a 1.4 for my wife because of the threads on here about trouble with the FSi engine. It goes well enough unless it is fully loaded with passengers. With a full load it struggles on hills. She doesn't do the mileage to justify a diesel.
It sounds like I'm doing it down but I still like driving it. Just don't expect it to be a sports car.

We bought a 1.6 FSI over a year ago no. Very cheap motoring and have done about 4,000 miles. I've got a relatively low mileage one. Currently reading 66k. I had a thought about selling it the other day but its just so darn cheap motoring i think we'll hold on to it for a few more years.

I got it serviced by Sarge (a forum member) for a very resonable price and bought the parts myself. Only thing thats gone wrong has been the reverse light switch (replaced at time of service), split oil pipe. £90 from audi but replaced it myself and a brake light switch (£10 from audi and an easy diy fix).

Tax is only £135/yr so very cheap.
MPG is around 38 for mixture of urban and motorway use and I dont drive it like a grany but dont drive like I stole it either.

Yes some FSI`s have issues but I havent encountered any. I really wanted the FSI purely because its more powerful than the 1.4 petrol.

If you can afford a TDI then thats great but if you dont do mega miles then think twice before spending the couple of £K extra for the diesel model.

It will be for sale if I can resolve the cccu issue ( see other thread on cccu)
It is a 2004 54 reg A2 tdi (75) ,SE, it was an Audi demo plus 2 lady previous owners then my dad who I purchased the car for in September 2009, he has had to give up driving due poor eye sight .The car has been serviced at 23,47,73,81and 87 miles all at Audi main dealers with a new cambelt and waterpump at 71k on 21/11/09 the car has now done 90,600 miles.It is MOT'd until 27 /01/13 and taxed until June 2013 the car in Cobolt Blue which a very dark blue all most black. It has cruise control, climate control (very slight wear to buttons), Concert radio/cd with x 4 speakers, NO dis or open sky but now has MANUAL REAR WINDOWS.I have vosa mot print of all the mot's the car had to verify milage. I have all the books, I have two keys but one only unlocks the car as immobilizer cuts in when I try to start car. Interior/exterior conditions is very good with few very slight marks to paint,the alloys slightly different option 5 spoke design are very good condition, 4 seat interior is black matrix cloth. it has never been smoked in.
The car can be viewed at my house M4 J18 Bath/Stroud or at my dads house J22 M5 Burnham-on-sea within 5 mins of either junction.

I have recently driven the car Bristol-Lancaster & Bristol-Northamptonshire and back car rides and drives well averaging over 65 mpg at speeds upto 70 mph.

Looking for offers very close £4,500 Murdo do you think this is about right figure?

If you would like and more information please pm me.

Attachments

• 2012-09-01-047.jpg
    2012-09-01-047.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 265
  • 2012-09-01-049.jpg
    2012-09-01-049.jpg
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 2012-09-01-045.jpg
    2012-09-01-045.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 284
  • 2012-09-01-046.jpg
    2012-09-01-046.jpg