Chat Thought you might like to see.....

Sarge

A2OC Donor
I thought some of you Lovely people would find it interesting to see some pictures of the current car during the breaking process, Wit till you see last ones!, so here goes....

2015-10-04 19.31.43.jpg

20151004_144411.jpg

20151004_144800.jpg

20151004_153257.jpg

20151004_175144.jpg

20151004_175502.jpg

20151009_143848.jpg

20151010_131913.jpg

More to follow......

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow; hats off to you Sarge Sir. Thanks for sharing - a fascinating insight into our little cars and areas that most seldom see.

Had a tear in my eye when reviewing the 'convertible' A2 image.

Guess you could say I loved A2's so much so that it looks like I buried one in my garden as a time capsule :)

Sarge

Yes you have been "roofless" with your stripping of that car.

Can you cut the next one in half across the middle perhaps? That way someone can build a unique trailer!

Steve B

Those photos have been very useful to me! I can see those three dash-retainers that I'm going to have to repair and also the position of a bracket, which might have caused a bit of "head-scratching" Now I got another dash ready to replace my (expectedly) damaged dash. It has turned out to be more damaged that the one I have taken out! I have spent two days repairing all the "new" damage! I've realised that it is possible to change-over the central part of the dash (I've done considerable modifications to this section) So this is what I'd like to ask you, Sarge ... What are you going to do with your removed dash? It is in "Twist" isn't it? I wonder if I could buy it? I am a perfectionist, and although I've used a "state-of-the-art" repair material to strengthen that cracks, it's not like the perfect, undamaged item! Please let me know what your intentions are ... your dash is undamaged, I assume? Thanks

David

That dash is undamaged and a double din, it is for sale as are many other parts. It is available with or without airbag as an option.

I also have a single din one in black.

I'll upload pictures tomorrow for you.

Sarge

Can you cut the next one in half across the middle perhaps? That way someone can build a unique trailer!

Steve B

Out here quite a few people have done that to their old Toyota utes - it's a bit disconcerting following one ... (utes are pickup trucks for those not from here or Australia)

That dash is undamaged and a double din, it is for sale as are many other parts. It is available with or without airbag as an option.

I also have a single din one in black.

I'll upload pictures tomorrow for you.

Sarge

I have sent a P.M. regarding the double-DIN dash and will take it from there ....

David

Steve B

Steve you know me too well, don't think thoughts of various designs, 'Sarge Design' as my mate that helped me with the physical labour other day calls it, doesn't cross my mind all the time!

A 2 seater pick up amongst many others has always been in my thinking box. :cool:

Sarge

Hi Sarge, the fact that you've done all this over the winter months without a garage deserves some recognition on its own. Glad to see that you have stripped it completely; if an A2 has to go then glad that all the parts will be re-used...good work :)

Steve mate, you don't know the half of it, it has been an extremely hard and very frustrating time for me last couple of years, but I do try to get my head down when I get the opportunity.

Oh I so wish I had a garage that some of you lucky people have! (quite often piled full of rubbish though, never understood that ...lol) :eek:

Sarge

Sarge,

Thanks for sharing these pictures, out of curiosity does buying a beyond repair A2 and dismantling it 'pay'? Although I have got a garage I'm not going to set up in competition so no need to worry on that score :)

Simon.

Hi Simon, your welcome to try no worries about competition Buddy, however most of mine were destined for several projects, but my circumstances changed and hence here we are today. In reality due to the fast declining values and scores of A2's hitting the scrap yard on a daily basis, I'd say solid NO to it. I find parts only sell in dribs and drabs and only occasionally sell.

I can sell you a complete car for you to break and try if you like... :)

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarge,

Thanks for sharing these pictures, out of curiosity does buying a beyond repair A2 and dismantling it 'pay'? Although I have got a garage I'm not going to set up in competition so no need to worry on that score :)

Simon.

Having also broken two A2's, i'd agree with Sarge. When I broke mine, the going was good so it was worth doing. (incidentaly I actually broke the first one to get a better insight into how they are put together and improve my mechanical skills).

The surge of A2's reaching the end of their economical life within the last 12 months seem to have meant a surplus of parts and the laws of supply and demand obviously mean that prices have to drop (or at least if you expect to sell them that is).

The other issue with values dropping so dramatically within the last 12 months is that people seem less likely to repair their ageing A2 and therefore do not require the parts.

I think anyone anyone looking to make a little profit with the mechanical skill to break an A2 would be far better finding A2's that need mechanical repair and getting them back on the road for sale. There are some good cars out there at thye moment that need repair that may be destined for a breaker that could with a little time (more than money) be put back on the road.

Thanks both for the A2 breaking insight. I guess it's the times we live in where people always want the newest and are not prepared to conserve the old but having said that I'm about to scrap a Saab 93 - nothing mechanically wrong with it just expensive to tax and fuel and it's a bit tired cosmetically - in my defence I've replaced it with the A2 rather than a brand new car!

Thanks Sarge for the breaker offer too,

Simon.

For what it's worth, so far, breaking the A2 I currently have has been profitable. Nothing huge, but the thing paid for itself in a week. It's a long haul tho, and is obviously dependant on the desirability of the parts the car has AND how much the car owes you.

As sad as it is to break one, it would have been sadder to spend money on it when the market doesn't want them. I love cars, but other than depreciation I don't like them to leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

I can only justify breaking the car given the potential this thing has to keep many, many other A2s going, their owners that bit happier and how recyclable aluminium is. Once the shell and all the aluminium parts are separate from steel and glass it can be recycled without losing quality, and recycled again and again.

'Along with the energy savings, recycling aluminium saves around 95% of the greenhouse gas emissions compared to the ‘primary’ production process. Recycling 1 tonne of aluminium saves 9 tonnes of CO2 emissions; So when you consider that 1 tonne of CO2 is equivalent to driving 2800 miles the benefits of recycling really start to become compelling'.

From: http://www.alupro.org.uk/sectors/consumers/why-recycle-aluminium/

Last edited:
Back