Tickover jumping+EPC+engine management lights

My wife`s 2002 A2 1.4 petrol is having a reccuring fault, first the engine was hunting on tickover, so we put it into the garage who said a camshaft sensor came up on the code reader, so he cleared it off, and said all seemed fine. It was for a day, so it went back because now the EPC and engine management lights came on for about 5 mins while I was in the car, so they cleaned out the air recirculation valve, and said that the camshaft sensor had showed an error again, and if it happens again this would have to be changed. All was ok again for a day or so, but it had to go back in again because the engine was hunting at tickover again, so the camshaft sensor was changed this time, even though this time the error never came up(!) but was told it seemed miles better afterwards, which it was for a day, but is hunting again, no lights are appearing though. Car is being run on regular unleaded, just thinking now if it`s worth trying higher octane fuel, Shell V-power or similar? This is really getting annoying now, not to mention expensive, there has GOT to be a logical explanation for this, please help:(

Last edited:
V power should be worth a try but I think if you are throwing error codes up then sommat is up -

Back