Timing belt anniversary?

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I have checked but can't find the info on here regarding when a 1.4tdi 75bhp timing belt might need changing. Whats a sensible mileage and or years between timing belt changes?
Many thanks

Nigel

5 years or 60k miles seems to be the normal, some push the miles to 80K, but never increase the time period beyond 5 years

5 years or 60k miles seems to be the normal, some push the miles to 80K, but never increase the time period beyond 5 years
Thanks Paul, currently 4 years and 37k miles since last done so still well in :)
Was worried it needed doing soon:rolleyes:

My recent silver a2 tdi purchase was 9 years on last Cambelt change I drove it home 170 miles with a little prayer ...and the dealer told me last one he sold was 15 years ? on a Cambelt bit like playing Russian roulette.. I would agree 60k ....5 years although I think belts a lot better than they used to be ..

I know someone who got a brand new 2003 audi a2 when they first came out. They have never changed it since buying new and it lasted 109k till it snapped ?

The service book for mine states 5 years/80,000 miles. I don’t know when or where but this was later amended to 5 years/60,000 miles according to my spreadsheet.

Andrew

I would say 4 years or 60k to be on the safe side - so i'd get it changed now - not worth the risk - much more hassle to replace an engine!

Timing belt for me is a thing I never want to risk, when I bought mine although it had only covered 17,000 miles it was 8 years old so was the first thing for me to do.

I know this is controversial, but I don't do much mileage, so Ive chose to change my belt every 10 years. The first one I inspected after 30k miles, and 10 years old and there was plenty of life left in it. So far Ive done 20k, and its 6 years old. Ive never found a local trustworthy garage, so pay double the price for Audi to do it, so I double the time span to help justify it.

John,

You're quoting from a thread where that claim was firmly rebutted. Although Audi don't set an age limit for timing belts, ContiTech most certainly do - the belts are warranted for a maximum of 5 years, after that you use them at your own risk https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/timingbelt-1-4-aua-diagnostic.36683/ .
Timing belts can last an awful long time but sooner or later they fail. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I am qouting my own tread. It was not clear - Contitech says general 5 years, Audi does not say anything.

Did you know that for the 1.9TDI which is basically the same engine as 1.4TDI minus one cylinder, dealership states no age limit, only max. 150.000km. Even have in writing that dealership will replace engine FOC if belt snaps before 150.000km. The belt is still Contitech with its 5 years warranty...

Back