Timmus in Benelux

timmus

A2OC Donor
Hello to our members in the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and northern France,

I'll be travelling across the Channel in August in order to visit some friends and do some A2 retrofitting. I already have a few jobs scheduled, but thought I'd now make an open offer to others in the area.

I won't be able to travel with bulky items like seats, dashboards and window frames, meaning some of my upgrades won't be feasible, but most of my usual retrofit 'menu' is available. So, if you'd like cruise control, Colour DIS, multifunction steering wheel, lumbar support and/or heated seats wiring, komfortblinker, fog lights, TDI remap, etc, please get in touch.

I will have a degree of mobility, but will be based mostly in the Randstadt area. I'll also be based near Antwerp for a short period. I'll be arriving and leaving Central Europe through Dunkirk, which may also present opportunities for those in northern France.

Please reply to this thread or send me a private message if you'd like to arrange a meeting.

Kind regards,

Tom

PS: to all those awaiting replies to their PMs, apologies for the delay - I'm working my way through them all as time allows!

Hi Tom, I’m interested in a remap for my ATL. But that doesn’t mean that I get a black smoke monster I hope?

Hi Tom, I’m interested in a remap for my ATL. But that doesn’t mean that I get a black smoke monster I hope?

I can do this, either with or without an EGR delete. Black smoke monsters aren't my style. :)

Great :) thanks for giving me another dilemma, what's pro or con of an EGR delete?

Hi Louis,

Have a read of Section 9 of th TDI120 thread...
https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/tdi120-my-new-engine.32986/#post-281496

From there, I quote...
Directly behind the anti-shudder valve is the EGR valve. EGR is an abbreviation of exhaust gas recirculation. EGR involves taking a portion of the exhaust gas, mixing it with the boost air, and sending it through the cylinders for a second time. It is a method of reducing the amount of polluting nitrogen oxides emitted by the engine. Fig. 9.3 shows how the EGR valve works. A small branch of the exhaust system is fed to the EGR input, directly beneath the EGR valve. When vacuum is applied to the EGR actuator, the EGR valve lifts upwards, like the lid being removed from a cauldron, causing exhaust gas to mix with the boost air.

Fig. 9.3

Whilst the objective of EGR is unquestionably commendable, it has a number of undesirable consequences. Firstly, it causes the boost air to get hot. Having invested so much in getting the boost air as cold and as dense as possible, it is totally counterproductive to mix it with hot, oxygen-depleted exhaust gas just prior to entering the cylinders. This dilution of the boost air, accompanied by the obstruction to flow presented by the EGR valve, causes decreased performance and increased fuel consumption. EGR also causes a gradual build-up of sticky tar in the inlet manifold, cylinder head valves and the EGR valve itself, as shown in Fig. 9.4. This introduction of abrasive contaminants leads to increased component wear and increased engine oil acidity, both of which reduce the longevity of the engine. EGR also increases soot and particulate matter emission, meaning that its positive environmental consequences are counterbalanced by a negative environmental consequence.

Fig. 9.4

I intend to keep my A2 forever. Whilst I believe that EGR has a net positive environmental impact for those with a disposable attitude towards their cars, the same cannot be said when a vehicle is destined to be eternally cherished and maintained. As such, I have decided to completely eliminate the EGR system. It is my choice based on the pros and cons.

In the case of the TDI120, I physically removed the EGR system. However, it's also possible to remove its functionality through software, meaning the system remains intact, but just sits there doing nothing. As someone who intends on cherishing an engine for a very long time, I am anti-EGR, but others may argue differently.

Cheers,

Tom

EGR retention makes sense in stratified charge engines and the new attempts to make hyper-efficient burn everywhere mixtures with homogenous charge and compression ignition but for our little A2s it just feels like a sneaky way to try and reduce NOX for new car figures to look good and damn the future consequences. I don’t think our TDis could ever be accused of running hot and reburning partially burned fuel air mix without a completely uniform environment seems like a good way to make nastier carbon compounds at the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back