Top of dash shattered like glass in the middle

tigas

Hi. I was trying to clean the interior of the windscreen and to get enought leverage to reach better I made the mistake of putting one hand on top of the raised section over the middle air vents. This was the result:

15010008.jpg15010009.jpg

How deep does the rabbit hole go in order to fix this? Is this a separate part for the central console or am I looking at replacing the whole dash up to the windscreen?

I wasn't putting that much pressure...

Meanwhile, I'm trying to locate misses EKTA and ELSA. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

There are two or three complete dashboards on fleabay ranging from £55 to over £200. It would appear that sellers are not separating the center console and selling them as a complete unit - perhaps it may be worth a call to see if they are willing to sell them separately. I now know where not to put my hand when cleaning the windscreen - you must be sick as a parrot !.

Could it have been the cold weather making the thin top plastic brittle?

Hopefully you can just remove and replace the centre section as a dash refit is a full days work!

I would also out of interest ring my local dealer and if its still available price up the center console - you never know. Ive found that some A2 parts that i thought would be expensive are in fact relatively cheap. Its worth a call.

I'm not on the UK, we drive on the other side of the road and I don't think I could use a dash from the UK. But thanks anyway. Yes, I'm still a bit shellshocked about this.

I am sorry - didnt know your location. In that case i do believe that there are one or two for sale in Poland which may suit ?.

If only the centre console were available separately! It would be so much easier to change from single to double DIN dash, and I'd get the two days back that it took me to change the dash and fit the RNS-E and Bluetooth in my Sport.
I'm faced with the same problem again with the Storm. Why oh why did I sell that Sport!?

Nasty. That requires a whole new dash though I'm afraid.
As to the "removable" double-DIN dash cage. Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha ha! Thanks Audi for such a stupid piece of design!

Looking on amb-trade, the price from a dealer for a dash is insane. I would advise buying a used one off of ebay. It's a shame it broke plastic outside of the 'square', if it had just been in the square you could have replace that piece with the polo storage box with some modification.

Is it just me who has concerns about that ebay seller? Bypassing the FV fees for a start, half the ad seemed to be related to sending containers of chopped cars to africa, ... ?

Is it just me who has concerns about that ebay seller? Bypassing the FV fees for a start, half the ad seemed to be related to sending containers of chopped cars to africa, ... ?

I can see what you mean, but he might just have so many items that he cannot list them all.
Or possibly he doesn't have any stock but buys it when he knows what you want.

He does seem a bit "adventurous".

So, perhaps caution should be exercised, but still worth contacting to find out if he has what is needed and at what price?

Steve B

Thank you for the help, guys. I was able to ask Mr. ETKA yesterday night and he showed me that the central part of the dash is not a separate item. So this became, as I feared, a "big" job. Not only is the part expensive but the amount of systems that are touched and the amount of work-hours needed (did I hear someone say two days?)... I'm speechless. Maybe I'm in the "negotiating" stage of grief: I still have all the plastic pieces, maybe I could get that Polo tray and try to get someone to jury-rig something out of it? Fill the hole with cotton and try to glue the parts on top of it?

It did take me two days, but that was because I'd never done it before, was super cautious, and had no-one to help me for those 'need an extra pair of hands moments. I also had to prep and install the RNS-E and code etc.

I did forget to install the sensor for the climate until I was half way through the re-install, which also added a bit of time.

A day would cover it if you're set with your tools and instructions!

Alan

Back